Drop-down list with multiple entries in a single cell

Innoguide

Board Regular
Is there anyway, I can create a drop down list that allows users to choose items from a list and place them into a single cell with comma separation (e.g. Rome, New York, Rio Di Janero)

If I could limit it to one item per cell, a simple drop down data validation list would work, but I need to limit entry to 1 cell/column.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hi AG,

sorry to be a pester :-0 Everything was working great. When I closed the spread you worked on with me as shown above and save it and opened it up today--the macros were not working. I enabled, then only column B allowed me to insert more than one selection followed by a comma. The others are not allowing. Also, I emailed it to a friend and she sent it back to me and it will not allow for this entry separated by a comma either.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
AlphaFrog,

Please I need your help. I have multiple columns that will need to be able to do a Multi-Selection drop down list. The suggestions in the threads all seem to have code for specific column ranges. Is there a way to write the code so that any Drop Down List no matter where in the sheet it is will allow Multi Selection. As well as if someone deselects a choice it will be removed from the box?

I tried to modify myself but I've never worked with VBA so I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing.

I was using this but got errors. Please help

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim oldVal As String
Dim newVal As String

If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Range Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation)), Target Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

On Error GoTo ReEnable
Application.EnableEvents = False
newVal = Target.Value
Application.Undo
oldVal = Target.Value
Target.Value = newVal

If oldVal <> "" And newVal <> "" Then
Target.Value = oldVal & ", " & newVal
End If

ReEnable:
Application.EnableEvents = True
If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error " & Err.Number

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi KylerHunter and welcome to the forum.

You may find this link helpful
Excel Data Validation - Select Multiple Items

Try this...

Code:
[color=darkblue]Private[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] Worksheet_Change([color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] Target [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range)
    [color=green]'Multiselection Data Validation dropdown list[/color]
    [color=green]'Selecting a list item toggles it from the selected entries[/color]

[color=darkblue]Dim[/color] oldVal [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] newVal [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Const[/color] cDelimiter [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color] = ", "

[color=darkblue]If[/color] Target.Count > 1 [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Target.Value = "" [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Intersect(Me.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation), Target) [color=darkblue]Is[/color] [color=darkblue]Nothing[/color] [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Target.Validation.Type <> xlValidateList [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

[color=darkblue]On[/color] [color=darkblue]Error[/color] [color=darkblue]GoTo[/color] ReEnable
    Application.EnableEvents = [color=darkblue]False[/color]

newVal = Target.Value
    Application.Undo
    oldVal = Target.Value

[color=darkblue]If[/color] oldVal = "" [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
        [color=green]'First entry[/color]
        Target.Value = newVal
    [color=darkblue]Else[/color]
        [color=darkblue]If[/color] IsError(Application.Match(newVal, Split(oldVal, cDelimiter), 0)) [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
            [color=green]'add entry[/color]
            Target.Value = oldVal & cDelimiter & newVal
        [color=darkblue]Else[/color]
            [color=green]'remove entry[/color]
            newVal = Replace(cDelimiter & oldVal & cDelimiter, cDelimiter & newVal & cDelimiter, cDelimiter)
            newVal = Mid(newVal, Len(cDelimiter) + 1)
            [color=darkblue]If[/color] Len(newVal) [color=darkblue]Then[/color] newVal = Left(newVal, Len(newVal) - Len(cDelimiter))
            Target.Value = newVal
        [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]

ReEnable:
    Application.EnableEvents = [color=darkblue]True[/color]
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Err.Number <> 0 [color=darkblue]Then[/color] MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error " & Err.Number

[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Upvote 0
Hi Alpha Frog.. This was brilliant. However this seems to pose a problem if I want multiple dropdown lists in another cell apart that M10 ... lets says i need to create two multiple dropdown for two different lists in cells M10 and N10.

Cheers
Indro

You could create a UserForm that has a multi-selects listbox. The UserForm could be triggered when the user select a specific cell or clicks a button.

This code will concatenate multiple selections from a Data Validation dropdown list (code source) in cell M10.

Code:

Dim oldVal As String
    Dim newVal As String

If Target.Address(0, 0) <> "[COLOR=Red]M10[/COLOR]" Then Exit Sub

On Error GoTo ReEnable
    newVal = Target.Value
    Application.Undo
    oldVal = Target.Value
    Target.Value = newVal

End If
ReEnable:

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi indrokneel and welcome to the forum.

Try this...
Code:
[color=darkblue]Private[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] Worksheet_Change([color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] Target [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range)

[color=darkblue]Dim[/color] oldVal [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] newVal [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]

[B]    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Target.Count > 1 [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Intersect(Range("M10:N10"), Target) [color=darkblue]Is[/color] [color=darkblue]Nothing[/color] [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color][/B]

[color=darkblue]On[/color] [color=darkblue]Error[/color] [color=darkblue]GoTo[/color] ReEnable
    Application.EnableEvents = [color=darkblue]False[/color]
    newVal = Target.Value
    Application.Undo
    oldVal = Target.Value
    Target.Value = newVal

[color=darkblue]If[/color] oldVal <> "" And newVal <> "" [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
ReEnable:
    Application.EnableEvents = [color=darkblue]True[/color]

[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Upvote 0
:)Worked like a charm. Thank you so much. I've been looking for this solution for a while now. And thanks for replying so quickly. Very impressed. :)

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have found what I am looking for within this thread however I wondered if it was possible to amened it?

The code provided below is exactly what I need but is it possible to amend it so that you can deselect a selection and also amend it so that you cannot select something more than once to avoid duplication?

If one or both are possible I would greatly appreciate a solution, thank you in advance.

Dim oldVal As String
Dim newVal As String

If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Range("Q8,K11,K14"), Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

On Error GoTo ReEnable
newVal = Target.Value
Application.Undo
oldVal = Target.Value
Target.Value = newVal

End If

ReEnable:
If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error " & Err.Number

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have found what I am looking for within this thread however I wondered if it was possible to amened it?

The code provided below is exactly what I need but is it possible to amend it so that you can deselect a selection and also amend it so that you cannot select something more than once to avoid duplication?

If one or both are possible I would greatly appreciate a solution, thank you in advance.

If the code deselects an already selected item, it cannot add duplicates.

The code in post #44 should do what you want. It will work for any Data Validation DropDown list on the sheet. If you want it to be cell specific, change this line...
If Intersect(Me.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation), Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
To this...

Upvote 0
If the code deselects an already selected item, it cannot add duplicates.

The code in post #44 should do what you want. It will work for any Data Validation DropDown list on the sheet. If you want it to be cell specific, change this line...
If Intersect(Me.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation), Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
To this...

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I required.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back