Scientific Notation convert to text

Amileaux

Board Regular
If I receive an excel spreadsheet where certain job ids have been converted to scientifc notation, is there a way to make them convert back to their original number? I understand that is I receive a .csv or .txt file I can import the field as "text" and this will not happen - but if someone has already brought it in and saved it this way as a .xls file is there a way to undo it (assume I have no recourse to the original .csv or .txt file). Thank you. Marie

Amileaux said:
Neither formula accomodates a job Id that starts with zero. For example:

021E102 comes across as 2.10E+103 When I apply Mark's function, it returns 2.1E+103 ...

It's always a good idea to include such cases in your sample data.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Nate - thank you for responding. I'm still wading through your code to try and understand why it is working in some cases and in others it is not - however, I am wondering about the "--" you placed in front of the "mid" function. It seems to remove the "" from around the number. I couldn't find this on the help menu (of course I'm probably asking for the wrong thing). Thanks. Marie

Upvote 0
Bonjour Marie,

When you use string functions like left(), right() and mid(), the return is a string, even if it looks like a number. You can coerce numeric strings to real numbers in a variety of ways, use the n() function or mathematically operate on them in what would seem to be a moot manner, e.g.,

--x
x+0
x-0
x*1
x^1

The urinary minus takes operator priority in Excel, and there's been some discussion about it being more efficient than x+0.

The reason I'm using it is for your leading zero quandary, I want to see if the fourth char. is E or a number, operating on a text string, --E, returns an error, it effectively triggers the isnumber() function in the if() call.

Can you post some sample strings where my second function does not work properly?

=IF(ISNUMBER(--MID(B2,4,1)),LEFT(TEXT(B2,"#"),3)&"E"&TEXT(LEN(TEXT(B2,"#"))-3,"0##"),0&LEFT(TEXT(B2,"#"),2)&"E"&TEXT(LEN(TEXT(B2,"#"))-2,"0##"))

Upvote 0
If I receive an excel spreadsheet where certain job ids have been converted to scientifc notation, is there a way to make them convert back to their original number? I understand that is I receive a .csv or .txt file I can import the field as "text" and this will not happen - but if someone has already brought it in and saved it this way as a .xls file is there a way to undo it (assume I have no recourse to the original .csv or .txt file). Thank you. Marie

Extremely annoying to me that Excel doesn't make this easier to the user. This is my 11 step workaround for columns of data that have long numbers mixed in with other data types.

Step 1 Copy/paste problem field into new sheet in column A
Step 2 Copy/paste Column A into text file
Step 3 Format Column B to text and paste text file into Column B
Step 4 In Column C,

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("+",B1)),A1,"")
Step 5 Convert Column C into a number format with no decimals
Step 6 Copy/paste Column C into text file
Step 7 Format Column D into text and paste text file to Column D
Step 8 In Column E,

=IF(IF(IF(B2=A2,A2,D2)=0,A2,IF(B2=A2,A2,D2))=0,"",IF(IF(B2=A2,A2,D2)=0,A2,IF(B2=A2,A2,D2)))
Step 9 Copy/paste Column E into notepad
Step 10 Delete data in problem field and format column to text
Step 11 Copy/paste data from text file to problem field

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you post some sample strings where my second function does not work properly?

=IF(ISNUMBER(--MID(B2,4,1)),LEFT(TEXT(B2,"#"),3)&"E"&TEXT(LEN(TEXT(B2,"#"))-3,"0##"),0&LEFT(TEXT(B2,"#"),2)&"E"&TEXT(LEN(TEXT(B2,"#"))-2,"0##"))
If the original Job IDs can start with one or more zeroes, then there is no way to calculate the original Job ID from a number in scientific notation. Consider these Job IDs...

001E234
010E233
100E232

Each one will be converted to 1.00E+234 in scientific notation... there is no way to be able to decide looking at 1.00E+234 which of those three Job IDs were the original one.

Upvote 0
Try creating another column with:
=""&$A1
set column format to Text & Paste, Special, Value over the original scientific values.
dvp

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back