Board Regular
I have an array

=SUM((CostCenter=$A$3)*(Month=F$4)*(Prime=$A$7)*Cost)/1000

Where:
Cost =Monthly_Actuals!$F$2:$F$20000
CostCenter =Monthly_Actuals!$A$2:$A$20000
Month =Monthly_Actuals!$C$2:$C$20000
Prime =Monthly_Actuals!$D$2:$D$20000

I was just wondering if I could instead of refer to cells such as $A$3 (CostCenter=$A$3) have the referance be to a user inputbox and have the user select this information.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
On 2002-04-26 07:15, excelmacro wrote:
I have an array

=SUM((CostCenter=$A$3)*(Month=F$4)*(Prime=$A$7)*Cost)/1000

Where:
Cost =Monthly_Actuals!$F$2:$F$20000
CostCenter =Monthly_Actuals!$A$2:$A$20000
Month =Monthly_Actuals!$C$2:$C$20000
Prime =Monthly_Actuals!$D$2:$D$20000

I was just wondering if I could instead of refer to cells such as $A$3 (CostCenter=$A$3) have the referance be to a user inputbox and have the user select this information.

You mean to set the condition to a selection made a user. Absolutely.

You can also use a SUMPRODUCT formula which does not require entering using control+shift+enter and an edit:

=SUMPRODUCT((CostCenter=$A$3)*(Month=F$4)*(Prime=$A$7)*Cost)/1000

Aladin

Upvote 0
And, another thing, if I may:

You apparently selected the ranges of interest and named them directly, like with Cost which refers to:

Monthly_Actuals!$F$2:$F$20000

I'd suggest using dynamic name range, using the method I described to you in another recent thread. This way you'd have a bit more efficient workbook.
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-04-26 09:40

Upvote 0
whoops i kinda didn't read all that you wrote there. Right now i just have the array linking to cells where the cost center, month data is (prime and cost also, but i don't want that to change). I want the user to select the cost center and month. I am also having problems with that list data you gave me. I can't get the match formula to work. all i get is #NA, and its from the 9.9999999999999E+307 i suspect.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-26 07:24, excelmacro wrote:
how would i go about doing this? i only need the user to select cost center and month.

Let the formula

=SUMPRODUCT((CostCenter=$A$3)*(Month=F$4)*(Prime=$A$7)*Cost)/1000

refer to a cell X where the user selects from a list of cost centers instead of A3 and to a cell Y where the user selects a month number or name (whichever appropriate) instead of to F4.

X and Y are cells where you set up say a dropdown list using data validation.

Aladin

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-26 08:51, excelmacro wrote:
whoops i kinda didn't read all that you wrote there. Right now i just have the array linking to cells where the cost center, month data is (prime and cost also, but i don't want that to change). I want the user to select the cost center and month. I am also having problems with that list data you gave me. I can't get the match formula to work. all i get is #NA, and its from the 9.9999999999999E+307 i suspect.

You suspect wrong. Applied to a numeric column the MATCH formula will return the row number of the last cell in use.

Just type a few numbers in a clean sheet in column A.

In B1 enter:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A)

and examine the result it returns. When you get this, please return to that reply where I suggested using such formula and try to implement the proposed scheme.

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back