How do you create a drop down menu ?

coneyglaze

I have a work sheet and in a column I have a header of Type of Accident.
In the cell below that I want to create a drop down menu with the two choices of Fleet or Personel so that the user only has that to choose from..

Thanks
Coneyglaze

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
clcik the cell you want the drop down in, then click DATA > VALAIDATION. On the settings tab chose list for ALLOW: and then type in Fleet,Personal in the SOURCE:

Upvote 0
Steve that is what I was looking for... and I was sure to type in Personal not Personel Thanks...........

Coneyglaze

Upvote 0
Drop down validated lists tip
Here is the real tip : Generally, when you try to set up a data validation and you enter a list that is on another sheet, for example if you enter "=Sheet2!A1:A99", you will get an error saying that "You may not use references to other worksheets for data validation criteria". There is a way around this limitation! Go to Sheet2, highlight your list range and give it a name with Insert - Names - Define. If you assign A1:A99 on Sheet2 the range name of MyList (or anything you can remember). Then go to your original sheet, and in the Data Validation dialog, for the List, enter =MyList and you will be able to have the validations on another worksheet.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-27 17:33, rmtaylor wrote:
Drop down validated lists tip
Here is the real tip : Generally, when you try to set up a data validation and you enter a list that is on another sheet, for example if you enter "=Sheet2!A1:A99", you will get an error saying that "You may not use references to other worksheets for data validation criteria". There is a way around this limitation! Go to Sheet2, highlight your list range and give it a name with Insert - Names - Define. If you assign A1:A99 on Sheet2 the range name of MyList (or anything you can remember). Then go to your original sheet, and in the Data Validation dialog, for the List, enter =MyList and you will be able to have the validations on another worksheet.

You can Also have the list defined from another workbook sheet.
Only problem is the workbook needs to be Open

eg. ='[DataValidation List Link.xls]List'!$A$1:$A$18

In your Defined names list for MyList.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back