Copy/Paste

elgringo56

This is probably a little problem.

Cell A1 contains a Blank. Cell A5 contains a formula, =A1. I select cell A5. I then do a copy. I then select cell A7 and do a paste special, values only. Cell A7 ends up a 0 (zero) instead of a blank. This is causing me a real headache with a large field of blanks and data that I am trying to move and then sort. Blanks will sort at the end of a list, Zeros will sort at the beginning of a list. How can I make the paste operation enter a blank when the initial cell was a blank?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I had this problem this week and I think it was Jack from the UK that gave me the answer.

After you do the paste special value. Go to Data, Text to column and click on finish. This should help it did me, Let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
Maybe this will help...It was from Mark W.

...that "remaining something" is a text string ("") with a length of zero. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean nothing is there! If a cell contains "" that cell is nonblank (not empty).

You could select these cells, choose the Edit | Text to Columns... menu command, and press [ Finish ]. This will convert any cells containing "" into blank cells.

Upvote 0
If you see this, this is what I did, Para. I found that in the cell with the =A1, if I changed that to =IF(A1="","",A1). This allowed nothings to be copy/pasted without zeros. I dont know why, but it did.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back