Turning off automatic text-wrapping

axiom

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Does anyone know how to stop Excel from automatically wrapping text? (I have Excel 2000) Even if I have the "Wrap Text" checkbox unchecked for a cell, it will revert to the wrapped text mode every time I type too many characters in that cell. It seems to assume that I want it to wrap text, when in fact I don't. I can always go back and uncheck the "Wrap Text" box after it applies it automatically, but it is getting tiresome since I frequently type a lot of text in cells. Is there some way to turn this off? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
The only way I have been able to replicate that behaviour is if Normal Style has Alignment set to Wrap. Check it out - Format|Style.

Upvote 0
Okay, I realized something. This is only happening when the text I put in the cell has returns in it. When there are no returns it does not wrap. When there are returns, it automatically will turn on the wrap and I can't find a way to stop it. I can undo the wrap, but I cannot stop the automatic formatting. I tend to put a lot of text in cells (i.e. paragraphs) as I use Excel as a database and have one field where I store comments.

So I guess my question is now two-fold: first, is there a way to avoid automatic text wrapping when I have returns in the text of a cell, and second, is there a better way for me to be storing large amounts of text in cells when I am using Excel as a database?

Upvote 0
Wrapped Text reverts to unwrapped or visa versa

I am having the same proplem with wrapped text. In my workbook I have one sheet in which cells do not revert back to wrapped when I double click on them and another sheet in which they do. New sheet always do revert to wrapped. I also have found that if I strip special characters from the text, (not necessarily carriage returns) it will not revert but that is too much work for the amount of copying I do.

I have another workbook with the opposite issue. I want cells to wrap when I copy data into them. Some do and some don't . I have found no way to perminantly changed the cells to always wrap.. The cells I copy from are all wrapped.

I hope someone has a solution to this. It's driving me nuts.
Tim

Upvote 0
Correction to my previous post. I am indeed having same issue exactly as described by AXIUM. The reverse issue that I also am having is a little different but just as peplexing.

For the reverse issue, I was thinking of a similar problem wherein if I enter data into certain cells , the line entered into refuses to expand to fit the wrapping. However, the line can be manually expanded to reveal the entire cell contents. Other lines in the same sheet automatically expand. So far I have found no solution to either issue other than creating a new workbook from scratch.

One of the spreadsheets was adapted from an older version. Possibly both. This may have been a contributing factor.

Still searching for an answer, vibes.

Upvote 0
The best way that I can find to stop auto-wrapping is to highlight all the cells in sheet and then:
right click on any number in the row section -> click on height and ok
<!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I think this works in older versions of excel as well as 2007. The only problem is that if you do then want a cell to wrap you have to check wrap in the formats and double click in between two cells (i.e. the way you normally resize a cell).

Another way if it's just a one of, is to delete the line gaps in the text (i.e. where return has been hit).

Upvote 0
Hi, This problem had been bugging me too. This solved it. As a previous post said "The best way that I can find to stop auto-wrapping is to highlight all the cells in sheet and then: right click on any number in the row section -> click on height and ok, but the kicker is to then format the cells, vertical, TOP. Problem solved! :)

Upvote 0
Yay it worked.

I guess if you give Excel a set height the cells should be at then it won't set one automatically for you.
:)

Upvote 0
Counting number of rows in excel using autowrap in VC++

Can anybody help me in finding out how i will get used rows in excel.
I am using AutoWrap() Method in VC++.

Upvote 0
On this completely separate issue, you can record a macro and hit CTRL+End. This brings you to the last used row and column in the sheet.
Be careful though, if you add text to a cell but then delete the cell, the row still counts as being used.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back