concatenate dates?

Craig AS

hey,
i have 3 combo boxes, first with day numbers, second with month names, and third with years. I was just waundering if it is possible to concatenate three cells as a date. I have tried but i cannot solve it. any help is appreciated, thnx alot

Craig

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
On 2002-04-27 05:55, Craig AS wrote:
hey,
i have 3 combo boxes, first with day numbers, second with month names, and third with years. I was just waundering if it is possible to concatenate three cells as a date. I have tried but i cannot solve it. any help is appreciated, thnx alot

Craig

Since you didn't tell how you created the comboboxes and whether or not the month names are full names or 3-letter names, what follows will simply use 3 cells (A1:C1)housing a day value (a number), a month (full) name, and a year value (a 4-digit) number, respectively:

=DATE(C1,MATCH(B1,{"january";"february";"march";"april";"may";"june";"july";"august";"september";"october";"november";"december"},0),A1)

For 3-latter names adjust:

{"january";"february";"march";"april";"may";"june";"july";"august";"september";"october";"november";"december"}

Aladin

Upvote 0
ok sorry, i will try and explain more clearly now:

I have three combo boxes, the 1st contains day numbers 1-31. The second only contains months, 3 letters, so january = jan, febuary = feb ect.... and the the third contains this year and the upcoming year. 2002/2003, no next year it will contain 2003/2004. I have used vlookup formulas so it will look up the cell link, the show jan,feb etc.. in a cell. I have done the same for the years. However i need to transfer all the ordering information to a database on excel, but cannot find a way to get the three seperate cells of information(day,moth,yaer) into one single cell. hope this makes my problem more clear. Thanx alot

Craig

p.s. didnt understand your reply

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-27 06:39, Craig AS wrote:
ok sorry, i will try and explain more clearly now:

I have three combo boxes, the 1st contains day numbers 1-31. The second only contains months, 3 letters, so january = jan, febuary = feb ect.... and the the third contains this year and the upcoming year. 2002/2003, no next year it will contain 2003/2004. I have used vlookup formulas so it will look up the cell link, the show jan,feb etc.. in a cell. I have done the same for the years. However i need to transfer all the ordering information to a database on excel, but cannot find a way to get the three seperate cells of information(day,moth,yaer) into one single cell. hope this makes my problem more clear. Thanx alot

Craig

What are your cell links? Do these show directly the selections made?

Aladin

Upvote 0
hi,
my cell links was just the number relating to what i chose. e.g. january = 1, febuary = 2 march = 3, etc..... then i just looked up a table with dates in to get the date in a word(3 letters)

Upvote 0

Craig,

By the way, Why don't you check the formula I provided by entering in A1, say, 27, in B1 "April" without quotes, and C1 2002 to see if it works and how it works? The formula must go say in D1.

Aladin
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-04-27 07:05

Upvote 0
Hey again,

sorry to bother u again, but i have found a problem with it. for some reason it will not work with the year. #NUM! comes up in the cell. it works without the year, but the year come up as 1990 all the time, so its definetly got something 2 do with the year, but i dont know what, ne ideas?

Craig

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-27 08:26, Craig AS wrote:
Hey again,

sorry to bother u again, but i have found a problem with it. for some reason it will not work with the year. #NUM! comes up in the cell. it works without the year, but the year come up as 1900 all the time, so its definetly got something 2 do with the year, but i dont know what, ne ideas?

Craig

yes i do, with the above please.
This message was edited by Craig AS on 2002-04-27 08:33

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back