Vlookup dilemna

Beckwa

Ok, for my spreadsheet for a taxi company I have a cell for "base charge" and one for "price for mile". I want these prices to be dependent on a Vlookup which refers to a lookup prices table. The prices change according to the current time. I tried a Vlookup but that doesn't include the fact that it should be referring to the time before looking up the appropriate value. Any ideas? Am I even speaking English anymore?!?!? B

Hi Becky:
Just as a reminder, make sure that the entry H7 in the worksheet 'Booking Form' has the range name BookingTime.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
On 2002-04-27 15:03, Beckwa wrote:
Yeah already done that :) I sent u an email which might help further

Well Becky, I changed your 'Price Table' layout to:

Time Cost Per Mile Base Charge
4.01 £1.05 £2.00
10:01 £0.75 £1.15
16:01 £0.85 £1.40
22:01 £0.95 £1.80
and adjusted the formulas in your 'Booking Form' accordingly. I hope it works for you now.

Regards!

Yogi Anand

Upvote 0
Nope still isn't changing with the time changes. It stays the same. Thanks for all ur help but i'm gonna leave u alone cos u've got better things to do, B

Upvote 0
Hi Becky:
I have adjusted a few things and the 'Base Charge' and 'Cost Per Mile' compute correctly for all time segments. Now don't mess with cell H7 -- if you want to test for different time segments, change your system time. The cell H7 is no longer =NOW() but it is =NOW()-TODAY() to access the Time element only -- you can't just put time like 16:00 in cell H7 of your booking form. I have locked and hidden that cell so the user can not mess with that cell.
Please do post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and let us take it from there!
NB: If you must mess around with making direct entries in cell H7, then instead of using a VLOOKUP table we will have to use nested IF functions.

Upvote 0
Well it all works fine - thank you soooooooooo much for ur help!!! ONe question you know the H7 cell now says "NOW()-TODAY(" - what does this mean/do??? Thanks again, B

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-28 01:35, Beckwa wrote:
Well it all works fine - thank you soooooooooo much for ur help!!! ONe question you know the H7 cell now says "NOW()-TODAY(" - what does this mean/do??? Thanks again, B

Hi Becky:
We have based the Prices Table on time of the day regardless of what day it is. Having stated that =NOW() function combines the numeric expression for the date and time combined, and =TODAY() gives the numeric expression for the date only. So to get only the numeric expression for time and not mix it up with the date, I had to use the =NOW()-TODAY() function to make things work to your satisfaction.

Hope This Helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back