Percent format

waderw

Board Regular
I am trying to format selected cells to x.xx%. Using the Percent Style, "%", button doesnt format 8.9 to 8.90%, it formats it to 890%.

Any suggestions? I am trying to use this in a format procedure.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
I don't know why this is but if you format the cell first, then type in 8.9 you will get 8.90%. If you type the number in first them format the cell it will show 890%. You can go back and retype your number and it will be correct........

Denny
This message was edited by kinkyparamour on 2002-04-27 20:23

Upvote 0
That's right!
8.9 is 890%
and 8.9% is .089
When you format it as % first then what ever you enter Excel multiplies it by 100.

You can check these out by formatting the number to GENERAL format .. you wil get 890% is 8.9, and 8.9% is 0.089

HTH

Upvote 0
i've had this happen to me numerous times. if your spreadsheet has a ton of numbers that are like this (mine did) you can do one of two things, either select the whole column and go edit, find, search by 00, replace and leave the replace field blank, it will automatically take out the extra two zero's and still keep it as a number and a percentage. you can also type in a seperat cell 100, copy that, select the column again, right click, paste special, in the middle section of that window say divide. that will also take care of it

Upvote 0
I have tried to do some of the mentioned above to no avail. I am trying to format a selection using code to format X.X as X.XX%.

Does anyone know of any code that I can do this with?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Upvote 0
Hello waderw.

Maybe time has passed this question light years, but new Excel users may have same problem. Personally I came up with same problem with imported numbers which I had to format 0.00 %.

I solved it by using Custom Number Format: In Format Cells Dialog / Number / Custom typing 0.00 "%".

If somebody knows better way, so let me know.

Brgds Sir Vili.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back