Using a data validation drop-down list with countifs formulas

ngelbke

I have a table created that uses countifs formulas to pull data. I want the data to change based by client - so I created a drop down list with each client's name, and thought I could add a criteria to the countifs formula based on the client's name in the cell- but I get a value error. Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
I have a table created that uses countifs formulas to pull data. I want the data to change based by client - so I created a drop down list with each client's name, and thought I could add a criteria to the countifs formula based on the client's name in the cell- but I get a value error. Any suggestions?
Post the formula.

Upvote 0
Agree with T.Valko, but for what it's worth.

A typical (trying to be a mind reader here) user error would be not putting quotes around your criteria (assuming your hard coding the clients name in your formula)

Maybe we could have a crack at it with SUMPPRODUCT?

Upvote 0
Now that I had a night of sleep - I realize my question is very vague. And, unsure if even possible. Here is my formula below:

=COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9)

This pulls all late workorders

Now, I want to take a step further - and select late workorders by client. Please see example formula below:

=COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,'All Lates - Data'!$C$2:$C$491, "Altisource Portfolio Solutions")

Now, how can I do this using a data validation drop down list to signal it to change formulas? The only other option I can think of is to manually record macros and record changing each formula and using buttons with the clients' name on them. But, I thought I would seek an easier solution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Try :

=COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,'All Lates - Data'!$C$2:$C$491, (Data Validation Cell))

Upvote 0
Now that I had a night of sleep - I realize my question is very vague. And, unsure if even possible. Here is my formula below:

=COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9)

This pulls all late workorders

Now, I want to take a step further - and select late workorders by client. Please see example formula below:

=COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,'All Lates - Data'!$C$2:$C$491, "Altisource Portfolio Solutions")

Now, how can I do this using a data validation drop down list to signal it to change formulas? The only other option I can think of is to manually record macros and record changing each formula and using buttons with the clients' name on them. But, I thought I would seek an easier solution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
If I understand what you're asking, I think all you need to do is replace:

"Altisource Portfolio Solutions"

With the cell reference of your drop down list:

A1 = drop down list

=COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,'All Lates - Data'!$C$2:$C$491,A1)

Upvote 0
Sometimes I just overthink things. That definitely worked. The only issue is if I want to go back to pull all the lates - instead of client specific. I have "all" in my drop down menu - but don't know what to add to go back to list all late workorders. I added a column with the word all, but I came back with 0 (probably because it was checking both criteria. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Sometimes I just overthink things. That definitely worked. The only issue is if I want to go back to pull all the lates - instead of client specific. I have "all" in my drop down menu - but don't know what to add to go back to list all late workorders. I added a column with the word all, but I came back with 0 (probably because it was checking both criteria. Any suggestions?
Maybe this...

=IF(A1="All",COUNTIF('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,COUNTIFS('All Lates - Data'!F2:F491,'Late Workorder Breakdown'!A9,'All Lates - Data'!$C$2:$C$491,A1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back