Formula

GDawg

Using either an array formula or a SUMPRODUCT formula works fine for accumulating values in col B depending on values in col A unless either col is interrupted by text. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Gdawg

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
On 2002-04-29 08:00, GDawg wrote:
Using either an array formula or a SUMPRODUCT formula works fine for accumulating values in col B depending on values in col A unless either col is interrupted by text. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Gdawg

Hi,

Include two ISNUMBER(Range) arguments in your formula.

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A5>20)*(ISNUMBER(A1:A5))*(B1:B5)*(ISNUMBER(B1:B5)))

Untested, but I believe this will work.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
I modfied the formula to be =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(B1:B15>1))*(MONTH(ISNUMBER(A1:A15)=1))*(ISNUMBER(C1:C15)))and it gets no value, which it was before if no text is inserted and it still gets #VALUE if text interrupts any one of the three cols. Did I use ISNUMBER incorrectly?

Thanks,
GDawg

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-29 08:28, GDawg wrote:
I modfied the formula to be =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(B1:B15>1))*(MONTH(ISNUMBER(A1:A15)=1))*(ISNUMBER(C1:C15)))and it gets no value, which it was before if no text is inserted and it still gets #VALUE if text interrupts any one of the three cols. Did I use ISNUMBER incorrectly?

Thanks,
GDawg

Separate the actual criteria from the ISNUMBER tests.

=SUMPRODUCT((Month(A1:A15)=1)*(B1:B15>1)*(C1:C15)*(ISNUMBER(A1:A15))*(ISNUMBER(B1:B15))*(ISNUMBER(C1:C15)))

I believe this is total overkill on the range, but it should do what you want.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
Still doesn't work completely. Column A has dates 01/15/02 etc., Column B has invoice numbers and Column C, dollar values. I literally copied your formula and plugged it into the worksheet. It worked with no text. It's weird but if i enter a text character into Col A or C i get #VALUE however text in Col B donesn't cause a problem. And just deleting the text from A and C isn't satisfactory - i have to clear contents to get rid of #VALUE. I'll continue to experiment - i appreciate your input and if you have anyother ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

GDawg

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-29 10:15, GDawg wrote:
Still doesn't work completely. Column A has dates 01/15/02 etc., Column B has invoice numbers and Column C, dollar values. I literally copied your formula and plugged it into the worksheet. It worked with no text. It's weird but if i enter a text character into Col A or C i get #VALUE however text in Col B donesn't cause a problem. And just deleting the text from A and C isn't satisfactory - i have to clear contents to get rid of #VALUE. I'll continue to experiment - i appreciate your input and if you have anyother ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

GDawg

Given the state of your data, I'd suggest using the following array-formula:

{=SUM(IF((ISNUMBER(A1:A4)+ISNUMBER(B1:B4)+ISNUMBER(C1:C4))=3,(A1:A4=$I$1)*(B1:B4>$I$2)*C1:C4))}

where I1 houses the date criterion and I2 a numeric value.

If your data range is too big, you could trade off space against time:

In D2 enter and copy down as far as needed:

=IF((ISNUMBER(A1)+ISNUMBER(B1)+ISNUMBER(C1))=3,(A1=$I$1)*(B1>$I$2)*C1,0)

and apply to D:

=SUM(D:D)

Aladin

Upvote 0
Hi,

Another way...

Array-enter

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A15),IF(MONTH(A1:A15)=1,ISNUMBER(B1:B15)*(B1:B15>1)*IF(ISNUMBER(C1:C15),C1:C15,0),0)))

Sorry about all the bad responses from me.

Your tests, MONTH(A1:A15)=1 and B1:B15>1, can reference cells, as Aladin suggests (it is a good habit to *never* have constants in your formulas).

Adjust your ranges to suit.

Bye,
Jay

EDIT: Text in invoice column always > any number, so formula needed to be adjusted. Aladin's formula is shorter.
This message was edited by Jay Petrulis on 2002-04-29 11:51

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back