Conditional Formatting Troubles

giacomo

I am using the following conditional format to bold certain cities that match to 4 specific cities:

=MATCH(A1,CityList,0)

where CityList is a named range that refers to cells $D$3:$D$6, the data contained in those cells are the following 4 city office names:

Bakersfield
Tucson
SonomaMarin
Austin

This is working great with the exception of SonomaMarin, it bolds the other cities but not this one.

I'm using excel 97 on windows NT.

Thanks for your help,
giacomo

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
On 2002-04-29 11:12, Brian from Maui wrote:
Try checking for any extra spaces in your list and/or in A1

Thanks for your reply, no additional spaces, I should have mentioned that in my post. I even checked the two using the EXACT formula and the result is TRUE.

Also, when I use the MATCH formula in a cell, instead of within Conditional Formatting it gives the right result.
This message was edited by giacomo on 2002-04-29 11:20

Upvote 0
It works okay for me. Why don't you re-define your list? Maybe Sonoma\Marin didn't make the list properly.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-29 11:22, bergy wrote:
It works okay for me. Why don't you re-define your list? Maybe Sonoma\Marin didn't make the list properly.

Thanks, I tried your suggestion but it didn't help. I even tried replacing the list with the cell reference instead but that didn't help either.

Thanks,
giacomo

Upvote 0
Maybe it's an NT issue. I'm not up on NT, but could the '\' be causing the problem? Maybe NT thinks its a looking for a networked computer and not a string. Could you manually replace the '\' in CityList with a '-' and then do the same replacement in column A and see if it finds it then?

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-29 11:04, giacomo wrote:
I am using the following conditional format to bold certain cities that match to 4 specific cities:

=MATCH(A1,CityList,0)

where CityList is a named range that refers to cells $D$3:$D$6, the data contained in those cells are the following 4 city office names:

Bakersfield
Tucson
SonomaMarin
Austin

This is working great with the exception of SonomaMarin, it bolds the other cities but not this one.

I'm using excel 97 on windows NT.

Thanks for your help,
giacomo

Apply LEN to the target entry in the CityList:

=LEN(D5)

and do the same wrt to the entry in the range where you apply cond format.

Are they equal?

Upvote 0
Brian from Maui & bergy,

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I discovered the problem and it had nothing to do with my MATCH formula. I've been using conditional formatting to highlight every even numbered row in my worksheet, it just so happens that SonomaMarin was my only matching city that was on an even row.

Once I removed the other conditional format it worked fine. Any ideas on how I can get the two to work together?

thanks!
giacomo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back