Can Excel Record Mouse Coordinates/Clicks?

Rufius

I want to be able click on a bar of some kind (be it a jpg or some clip art or something) and generate a number based on where the line is clicked. So, perhaps, clicking to the far left of the line will generate a value of 00, and clicking to the far right will generate a value of 99.

The best method I have come up with is making 100 narrow columns, and having a bit of VBA code return values somewhere else based on what column the cell that was clicked was in. So, in this system, clicking on a cell in row C would generate a value of 02, and clicking on a cell in row Z would generate a value of 25. The problem with this approach, is that I haven't been able to figure out the VBA code to return a value after a click which is linked to the column of a cell.

any better ideas? I'm open to absolutely everything! :)

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Insert an Image control from the Control Toolbox Toolbar. It's MouseDown event returns the x and y mouse click coordinates.

Put something like this in the worksheet's code module where X is the horizontal click coordinate.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] Image1_MouseDown([COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Button [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Integer[/COLOR], [COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Shift [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Integer[/COLOR], [COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] X [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Single[/COLOR], [COLOR=darkblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Y [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Single[/COLOR])
    MsgBox X, , "Clicked: Horizontal Axis"
[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
I am sorry for my ignorance, but it has been a good two years since I worked with VBA very extensively.

I got it to return a message in the message box, now how do I:
-set the min/max values
-assign the output to a cell instead of a messagebox

this is really great help!

Upvote 0
Code:
Private Sub Image1_MouseDown(ByVal Button As Integer, _
                             ByVal Shift As Integer, _
                             ByVal X As Single, _
                             ByVal Y As Single)
    Const iMin      As Long = 0
    Const iMax      As Long = 99

Range("A1").Value = Int((iMax - iMin + 1) * X / Image1.Width) + iMin
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Private Sub Image1_MouseDown Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single)
    Range("A1").Value = X
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IT WORKS!

WOW! this is very awesome!
This was one aspect of larger project that I was trying to figure out, and the help is very much appreciated!

is there a way to up the reputation for you guys or anything? I am very happy to have this figured out!
what is the process for marking this as solved?

Upvote 0
You have already made us feel puffed up with your thanks, nothing further necessary.

Upvote 0
"Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, consider this justice a gift on my daughter's wedding day." - Don Corleone

Updated code for what it's worth...
Code:
[color=darkblue]Private[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] Image1_MouseDown([color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] Button [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Integer[/color], [color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] Shift [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Integer[/color], [color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] X [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Single[/color], [color=darkblue]ByVal[/color] Y [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Single[/color])
    Range("A1").Value = Int(X / Image1.Width * 100) [color=green]'0 to 99[/color]
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Digging up an old topic here. I'm trying to do something similar to OP. Except, I want multiple rows of data. So i would want to click on the image, have it record in A1, and the next time I click, record in A2, and so on.

To go even further, I would ideally like a message prompt for each click that asks for some user input, such as "Left or Right" and record that in column B for each entry.

Is something like this possible?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Digging up an old topic here. I'm trying to do something similar to OP. Except, I want multiple rows of data. So i would want to click on the image, have it record in A1, and the next time I click, record in A2, and so on.

To go even further, I would ideally like a message prompt for each click that asks for some user input, such as "Left or Right" and record that in column B for each entry.

Is something like this possible?

Thanks!
For anyone who encounter similar problem to store the x and y values of Image Control MouseDown event, one get-around is to store the values returned from the MouseDown event into Public variables to be used in your code module.
  • Create a Public variable in a standard module - Public variables are accessible to all modules
VBA Code:
'Declare Public variable in your standard code module
Public rng As Range
Public scenario As Integer
Sub test()

scenario = 2
    If scenario = 1 Then
        Set rng = Range("A1")
    ElseIf scenario = 2 Then
        Set rng = Range("B1")
    End If
    Do Until rng.Value <> vbNullString
        DoEvents
    Loop
End Sub
  • In the MouseDown event of the image control (from the worksheet), store the data e.g. Button, Shift, X, Y into the public variable/object e.g. Range
Code:
Private Sub Image1_MouseDown(ByVal Button As Integer, _
                             ByVal Shift As Integer, _
                             ByVal X As Single, _
                             ByVal Y As Single)
    Select Case scenario
        Case 1
            rng.Value = x
            '...
        Case 2
            rng.Value = x
        '...
    End Select

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back