Monitor realtime data in Excel..

richg

I want to monitor data from several (keyed in) "inputs" in a production line in excel. The display could consist of a varaible number of cells in rows in the sheet being formatted in colour related to accumulated data from each input.

It has been suggested to me that an intranet would be a good means of getting the inputs into excel.

If anyone can help me with the fundamentals of doing this I can supply more detail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
It has been my experience that when more than 1 person at a time try to view a spreadsheet on a network, you get a message saying that "This workbook is being view by someone else, would you like to open this file as a read only?".

So what I am trying to say is, I myself do not think you can do what you want. I am not a pro, I am just letting you know from my experience.

Upvote 0
You could play with the "Share Workbook" functionality under the menu headings Tools->Share Workbook....(Especially if you have xl2000 (can't recall if this is in '97)

You loose a fair amount of Excel's functionality under this setting, but a file on a Network drive could be accessed and manipulated by multiple end-users at the same time. It won't be refreshed/replicated/updated real-time, though....

This message was edited by NateO on 2002-04-30 09:23

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeerMan23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back