Caculate the most recent month a customer made a purchase

MikeGeno

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet with months listed chronologically across columns and customers listed down the rows.

Customer Month1 Month2 Month3 Most Recent Month Purchased
ABC
BCD
CDE

I would like to put a formula in the Most Recent Month Purchased that will give me the date of the last month that a customer made a purchase.

In the example Above is Customer ABC purchased in Month 1 and Month 2 but not Month 3 I would like the answer to show Month 2.

I thought of using a Nested If statement but I have 48 months of data and it would be a very unwieldy formula.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
It seems to always return the most recent column no matter what data is present.

In some instances I may have an account with Sales in month 1, none in month 2, Sales in Month 3, and None in Month 4 (Added a month here to show the example.

In this case I would want Month 3 to be the answer. Basically I am looking for the right most column with a non $0

Upvote 0
=IF(AS2<>0,AS$1,IF(AR2<>0,AR$1,IF(AQ2<>0,AQ$1,IF(AP2<>0,AP$1,IF(AO2<>0,AO$1,IF(AN2<>0,AN$1,IF(AM2<>0,AM$1,IF(AL2<>0,AL$1,IF(AK2<>0,AK$1,IF(AJ2<>0,AJ$1,IF(AI2<>0,AI$1,IF(AH2<>0,AH$1,IF(AG2<>0,AG$1,IF(AF2<>0,AF$1,IF(AE2<>0,AE$1,IF(AD2<>0,AD$1,IF(AC2<>0,AC$1,IF(AB2<>0,AB$1,IF(AA2<>0,AA$1,IF(Z2<>0,Z$1,IF(Y2<>0,Y$1,IF(X2<>0,X$1,IF(W2<>0,W$1,IF(V2<>0,V$1,IF(U2<>0,U$1,IF(T2<>0,T$1,IF(S2<>0,S$1,IF(AQ2<>0,AQ$1,IF(P2<>0,P$1,IF(O2<>0,O$1,IF(N2<>0,N$1,IF(M2<>0,M$1,IF(L2<>0,L$1,IF(K2<>0,K$1,IF(J2<>0,J$1,IF(I2<>0,I$1,IF(H2<>0,H$1,IF(G2<>0,G$1,IF(F2<>0,F$1,F$1)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Gave in and wrote the 40 time nested if statement to find the first month from right to left that has a number other than 0.

Upvote 0
Try this Use Control shift enter not just enter

Excel Workbook
BCDEFGH
4Customer01-Feb01-Mar01-Apr01-May
5ABCxxx01 May
6DEFxx01 Apr
7GHIxx01 Mar
Sheet1

Upvote 0
It seems to always return the most recent column no matter what data is present.

In some instances I may have an account with Sales in month 1, none in month 2, Sales in Month 3, and None in Month 4 (Added a month here to show the example.

In this case I would want Month 3 to be the answer. Basically I am looking for the right most column with a non $0

If $0 entries really exist, Andrew's proposal requires some modification...

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,1/B2:D2,B$1:D$1)

Upvote 0

Try this...

B1:Z1 = column headers
B2:Z2 = data

=LOOKUP(1E100,1/B2:Z2,B$1:Z$1)

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for the help most appreciated! All of the last 3 solutions worked and much easier than my 40 nested ifs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back