formulas

tmac

I have created a formula in cell A3 that subtracts A2 from $A$1, where A2 nd A1 refers to a simple number formats, no formulas. My formulas written in cell A3 reads: =$A$1-A2). However, when inserting a new row, in order to enter a new cell of data immediately above the formula, I notice that the formula does not change and continues to refer to A2, the "old" cell entry. However, I desire the formula to change to =$A$1-A3 and then to =$A$1-A4 when another new row is inserted and so on. . Basically I am trying to find simple non-vba method (of one exists) that will force this formula refer to the "new cell" I insert in the column immediately above it and subtract it from $A$1.

Any suggestions on writing a formula on will adjust automatically when a new row is inserted? Mahalo in advance.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back