reference guide suggestions?

robfritts

I'm looking for a valuable reference for VBA/macros, particularly within Excel if it makes a difference. I'm just starting to discover the power of automation within excel because I've found where my company stores (and how they mine) the data we had to access through a proprietary system. Can you guys recommend any particular reference or guide for this stuff?

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Persoanlly I started off by recording some basic macros & looking at the code. The help files can be quite useful ( tho' sometimes they're more hinderence than help.).
Books by John Walkenbach always come highly recomended by other users I know. Have a look at his web site :

http://j-walk.com

Upvote 0
Good, good, and good.

All three things I've done and in the order I've done them. :)

I've been using macros (recording them & modifying them) for a few years, but never had a reason to dig into scripting. That's all changed now that we get to manage ourselves and have access to the data that we're measured on.

The help files are *really* good, but I was having trouble finding out that a function or method (what is a method anyway???) even existed. I'm pretty good at reading someone elses code and figuring out what it does and how, I was actually looking for a (programmer's?) reference that listed the objects, context, and maybe some samples... I guess actually, it's a help file in a book. :)

Help system is great, but it's like I've got to know it exists before I can find help on it, and I can't know it exists until I read about it somewhere else (someone else's code, obscure reference in another help example, etc).

Upvote 0
From within VBA, press F2 to display the object browser. It lists all the classes and their members. This is a good way to find out what's available, then you can use Help to get more information.

Upvote 0
ah hah!

sorry, I'm completely lame when it comes to the VBA development environment... still haven't explored all it's menus yet, perhaps I should start there.

F2 is what I needed! :)

Thanks a million.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back