Complicated Lookup...

tiffsauder

Hello,

I have a document with several sheets on it that contain tables of pricing for individual products. (When I say tables I do not mean tables that were made with the tables feature. I simply created them by formatting the cells within the table. There is no sorting options or anything included. Without the formatting of fill colors, and font features they would simply be cells with formulas.)

20%All Purpose Scraper
Qty Breaks25050010002500
RNetRNetRNetRNet
11000$0.80$0.48$0.76$0.46$0.71$0.43$0.67$0.40

<colgroup><col style="text-align: center; "><col span="8" style="text-align: center; "></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I copy and pasted one of the tables above.

I am new to the forum so I am not sure how to display things in the best way. Tips for that would be wonderful!

The quantities are the 250, 500, 1000, 2500 listed under the All Purpose Scraper which is the item, the item number is listed under the "Qty Breaks". The item number will need to be my lookup value. The prices below each quantity apply to the customer based on how many pieces they purchase. Under the quantity is letter "R" this is a code that is equal to a percentage. Next to it is the "Net" price. Under each of those is the price that applies. All the prices are figured based on formulas. The two cells above the "R" and "Net" are merged and contain the quantity.

What I need to do is return return the above values in a table like this...

Item Number

Quantity 1Coded PriceNet Price
$.80$.48

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need a formula that will return the values in red...

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
If I understand correctly you are trying to create a Vlookup to pull the values from the corresponding columns based on the Quantity?

You could try a nested VLOOKUP for the column reference. Create a small table in the sheet with the item as follows the states the column position of the data required based on the Qty selected

Qty</SPAN>Coded Column Ref</SPAN>Net Column Ref</SPAN>
250</SPAN>2</SPAN>3</SPAN>
500</SPAN>4</SPAN>5</SPAN>
1000</SPAN>6</SPAN>7</SPAN>
2500</SPAN>8</SPAN>9</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP>

(I will just pretend I named this range QTY for the formula) Also assume that the pricing data is sitting in a sheet called data

To Get Coded Price based on the volume the formula in Column B would be
=vlookup($A1,Data!$A$1:$A$9,vlookup($B$1,QTY,2,false),false)

To Get Net Price based on the volume the formula in Column B would be
=vlookup($A1,Data!$A$1:$A$9,vlookup($B$1,QTY,3,false),false)

The first part of the formulas looks for the Item number, the second vlookup tells the formula which price to return based on the quantity entered.

Hope this is clear or helps. This works assuming all of your pricing data is in one tab, if each item has it's own sheet you would have to do come up with a different solution which I am not sure how to do. I am also unclear wheter or not the QTY in your last table will be keyed by you or will need to be returned by the formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really need to avoid making the table with the column references. I have a lot of products and it would be more time consuming than just typing everything in by hand.

I know nothing about HLOOKUP but would that help at all...is there any other options I have without creating anything new and simply working from the tables I have?

Thanks for you help!

tiffsauder

Upvote 0
You couldn't use HLOOKUP in this instance you would first have to unmerge the cells with the QTY and type the QTy in twice, and when you did the HLOOKUP it would always find the leftmost value and look down so it would always return the coded price.

Sorry that was my only suggestion you'll need an expert for a more advanced solution.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can combine a few things. Your suggestion did get me thinking though. I never considered combining the lookup functions!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back