Macro to Consolidate Data from Different Workbooks into One Workbook

JHCali

Greetings,

I need a macro that gathers information from 5 different workbooks and consolidates it on one tab in a 6th workbook.

For each file, the number of columns is the same, but the number of rows differs. What I need to macro to do is to take the data + column headings from the first of the 5 source files and paste them into the destination file. Then, for each subsequent source file, I need the macro to paste just the data (no column headings) starting in the row immediately below.

Also, this group of 6 files (5 source, 1 destination) will all be in one folder. However, I will be creating new folders on a weekly basis, so I would preferably need the macro to work without me having to go in every week and changing the file path. So below are just examples of names for people to help me with the code, and I can go in and change the details afterward.

Here are the details:

1) Each source file has the data I need to copy in columns A:G.
2) In each source file, the column headings are in row 1, with the data beginning in row 2.
3) In each source file, the data that I need to copy is in the "Data Output" tab.
4) The 5 source files are titled "Source1.xls" to "Source 5.xls"
5) In the destination file, the data will be copied and pasted into the "Data Consolidation" tab.
6) The destination file is titled "Destination.xls"
7) The file path where all the files are located is: "C:\Desktop\Week 1". Each wee I will create a new folder and update the number after the "Week".

I hope this is enough hypothetical information to enable you all to help me with the code.

Thank you all very much in advance.

Regards,

JHCali

I can sure try and help,

A few questions before I provide any code:

The setup is: One Excel file (Workbook) with multiple tabs (Worksheets) which need to be consolidated into one tab (worksheet)? No one master workbook with different other workbooks, not tabs

Will there be a variable number of columns or fixed? Variable Will the names of the columns and order always be the same? No it will change Will all worksheets, other then the master, need to be consolidated or are there "extra" worksheets that don't need to be added to the master sheet? All

Let me know!

Thank you so much for replying and for you your help.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I can sure try and help,

A few questions before I provide any code:

The setup is: One Excel file (Workbook) with multiple tabs (Worksheets) which need to be consolidated into one tab (worksheet)?

Will there be a variable number of columns or fixed? Will the names of the columns and order always be the same? Will all worksheets, other then the master, need to be consolidated or are there "extra" worksheets that don't need to be added to the master sheet?

Let me know!

Hi Rosen,

I would appreciate your help.

I need macro which will collect following data:
1.Data from all workbooks from specified folder, and only data from "Sheet1"
2.Data selection is from A to W column, Row 4 for the first Workbook(because of headings) until first "Clear" row, and all others from row 5
3.Data should be consolidated in a new workbook , below each other

Do you think this is manageable?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Hi DachoR,

The following code should help (it is simply a modified version of the code I wrote several years ago), note that I have moved several variables to the top of the CollectData Sub which can be change to suit. Those are:
Code:
SheetName
RowOffset
ColumnCount
They have already been set to the requirements you listed above. Here is the code:
Code:
Private Declare Function FindFirstFile Lib "kernel32" Alias "FindFirstFileA" (ByVal lpFileName As String, lpFindFileData As WIN32_FIND_DATA) As Long
Private Declare Function FindNextFile Lib "kernel32" Alias "FindNextFileA" (ByVal hFindFile As Long, lpFindFileData As WIN32_FIND_DATA) As Long
Private Declare Function GetFileAttributes Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetFileAttributesA" (ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long
Private Declare Function FindClose Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFindFile As Long) As Long
Const MAX_PATH = 260
Private Type FILETIME
  dwLowDateTime As Long
  dwHighDateTime As Long
End Type
'
Private Type WIN32_FIND_DATA
  dwFileAttributes As Long
  ftCreationTime  As FILETIME
  ftLastAccessTime As FILETIME
  ftLastWriteTime As FILETIME
  nFileSizeHigh  As Long
  nFileSizeLow   As Long
  dwReserved0   As Long
  dwReserved1   As Long
  cFileName    As String * MAX_PATH
  cAlternate    As String * 14
End Type

Function CleanTrim(ByVal Text As String) As String
    CleanTrim = WorksheetFunction.Trim(WorksheetFunction.Clean(Text))
End Function

Sub CollectData()
    ' This code assumes it is running in the worksheet code itself (Me should be a reference to
    ' the worksheet which the data is being consolidated into).
    ' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dim i As Long, lCurrRow As Long, lRow As Long, n As Long
    Dim wb As Workbook, ans As VbMsgBoxResult
    Dim hInstance As Long, wFile As WIN32_FIND_DATA, Filename As String
    Dim SheetName As String, RowOffset As Long, ColumnCount As Long

' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Set the sheet name to the name of the sheet which will contain your data in the other
    ' workbook(s)
    SheetName = "Sheet1"

' Set the RowOffset to the row after the header
    RowOffset = 5

' Set the ColumnCount to the number of columns from A which are included in the table(s)
    ColumnCount = 23 ' A - W

'
    hInstance = FindFirstFile(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\*.xls*", wFile)
    Do

Filename = CleanTrim(wFile.cFileName)

' Ensure we are only grabing other files (skip this one)
        If Filename = ThisWorkbook.Name Then GoTo SkipFile

' Ensure we are skipping any temp files generated due to a file being open
        If Strings.Left(Filename, 1) = "~" Then GoTo SkipFile

' Open up Source Workbook
        On Error Resume Next
        WriteTimeStampedEntry "Starting to open file " & Filename
        Set wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Filename)
        If Not Err.Number = 0 Then
            Err.Clear

' No source workbook found, advise user.
            ans = MsgBox("Could not find Source " & Filename & " Workbook." & _
                  vbNewLine & "Do you wish to continue?", vbInformation + vbYesNo, "Error")
            WriteTimeStampedEntry "Error occured opening " & Filename
            If ans = vbNo Then Exit Sub
            GoTo NextI
        End If
        WriteTimeStampedEntry "Finished opening " & Filename
        ' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ' Source book was found, data to use is on SheetName.
        ' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        With wb.Sheets(SheetName)
                Err.Clear

' No SheetName tab found, advise user.
                ans = MsgBox("Could not find Source " & Filename & " Workbook's '" & _
                SheetName & "' tab." & vbNewLine & "Do you wish to continue?", _
                vbInformation + vbYesNo, "Error")
                If ans = vbNo Then
                    wb.Close SaveChanges:=False
                    Exit Sub
                End If
                GoTo NextI
            End If

' Transfer Headers, if we don't already have them
            If Me.Range("A" & RowOffset - 1).Value = VBA.Constants.vbNullString Then
                For n = 0 To (ColumnCount - 1) Step 1
                    Me.Range("A" & RowOffset - 1).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value = _
                                          .Range("A" & RowOffset - 1).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value
                Next n
            End If

' Ensure we skip any headers. (set this value to the first row after the headers)
            lRow = RowOffset

' We are assuming the value in column A will be filled and there is no breaks until the
    ' end of our entries. If this is not the case additional code will be needed to
    ' determine the end of our entries.
            WriteTimeStampedEntry "Starting data collection for " & Filename
            Do Until .Range("A" & lRow).Value = vbNullString
                lCurrRow = lCurrRow + 1
                ' insure we don't overwrite the headers
                If lCurrRow < RowOffset Then lCurrRow = RowOffset
                For n = 0 To (ColumnCount - 1) Step 1
                    Me.Range("A" & lCurrRow).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value = _
                                                   .Range("A" & lRow).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value
                Next n
                lRow = lRow + 1
            Loop
            WriteTimeStampedEntry "Finished data collection for " & Filename
        End With
NextI:
        WriteTimeStampedEntry "Closed out " & Filename
SkipFile:
    Loop Until FindNextFile(hInstance, wFile) = 0
    FindClose hInstance
    Set wb = Nothing
End Sub

Sub WriteTimeStampedEntry(ByVal msg As String)
    Dim oFileSystem
    Dim oTextStream
    Set oFileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set oTextStream = oFileSystem.OpenTextFile(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\CollectData.log", 8, True)
    oTextStream.WriteLine Now() & ": " & msg
    oTextStream.Close
    Set oTextStream = Nothing
    Set oFileSystem = Nothing
End Sub
Please note that this code has not been thoroughly tested and you should backup your work before testing it.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi DachoR,

The following code should help (it is simply a modified version of the code I wrote several years ago), note that I have moved several variables to the top of the CollectData Sub which can be change to suit. Those are:
Code:
SheetName
RowOffset
ColumnCount

Please note that this code has not been thoroughly tested and you should backup your work before testing it.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Hi Rosen,

Thank for your quick reply!

Unfortuntely I get error message "Invalid use of Me Keyword"
It is a first "Me" fuction in the Code.

Upvote 0
Good morning DachoR,

As this is simply a modified version of the previous code provided, the same requirements for the code apply, it must be in the Worksheet Code of the Workbook you are consolidating everything to and the file must be in the folder with all the other Excel files you are consolidating into this one.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Good morning DachoR,

As this is simply a modified version of the previous code provided, the same requirements for the code apply, it must be in the Worksheet Code of the Workbook you are consolidating everything to and the file must be in the folder with all the other Excel files you are consolidating into this one.

Hope that helps!

It works perfectly now! :)

Thanks a million, you are a geious! :)

Upvote 0
Here is a variation of the same issue, where we have a number of tabs which need to be consolidated to other tabs of the same name:
Code:
Option Explicit
Private Declare Function FindFirstFile Lib "kernel32" Alias "FindFirstFileA" (ByVal lpFileName As String, lpFindFileData As WIN32_FIND_DATA) As Long
Private Declare Function FindNextFile Lib "kernel32" Alias "FindNextFileA" (ByVal hFindFile As Long, lpFindFileData As WIN32_FIND_DATA) As Long
Private Declare Function GetFileAttributes Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetFileAttributesA" (ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long
Private Declare Function FindClose Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFindFile As Long) As Long
Const SHEET_NAME_1 As String = "Sheet1"
Const SHEET_NAME_2 As String = "Sheet2"
Const SHEET_NAME_3 As String = "Sheet3"
Const SHEET_NAME_4 As String = "Sheet4"
Const SHEET_NAME_5 As String = "Sheet5"
Const SHEET_NAME_6 As String = "Sheet6"
Const SHEET_NAME_7 As String = "Sheet7"
Const SHEET_NAME_8 As String = "Sheet8"
Const MAX_PATH = 260
Private Type FILETIME
  dwLowDateTime As Long
  dwHighDateTime As Long
End Type
'
Private Type WIN32_FIND_DATA
  dwFileAttributes As Long
  ftCreationTime  As FILETIME
  ftLastAccessTime As FILETIME
  ftLastWriteTime As FILETIME
  nFileSizeHigh  As Long
  nFileSizeLow   As Long
  dwReserved0   As Long
  dwReserved1   As Long
  cFileName    As String * MAX_PATH
  cAlternate    As String * 14
End Type
Function CleanTrim(ByVal Text As String) As String
    CleanTrim = WorksheetFunction.Trim(WorksheetFunction.Clean(Text))
End Function
Sub CollectData()
    ' This code assumes it is running in the worksheet code itself (Me should be a reference to
    ' the worksheet which the data is being consolidated into).
    Dim hInstance As Long, wFile As WIN32_FIND_DATA, Filename As String
    Dim SheetName As String, RowOffset As Long, ColumnCount As Long
    Dim Sheet As Worksheet, FolderPath As String
    Dim FolderPicker As FileDialog

' Prompt user for folder path for the workbooks.
    Set FolderPicker = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
    FolderPicker.AllowMultiSelect = False
    FolderPicker.Title = "Select Workbook Folder"
    FolderPicker.Show
    If FolderPicker.SelectedItems.Count > 0 Then FolderPath = FolderPicker.SelectedItems(1)

' Ensure we have a valid folder
    If VBA.FileSystem.Dir(FolderPath, vbDirectory) = "." Then Exit Sub

'
    hInstance = FindFirstFile(FolderPath & "\*.xls*", wFile)
    Do

Filename = CleanTrim(wFile.cFileName)

' Ensure we are only grabing other files (skip this one)
        If Filename = ThisWorkbook.Name Then GoTo SkipFile

' Ensure we are skipping any temp files generated due to a file being open
        If Strings.Left(Filename, 1) = "~" Then GoTo SkipFile

On Error Resume Next
        WriteTimeStampedEntry "Starting to open file " & Filename
        Set wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Filename)
            Err.Clear

ans = MsgBox("Could not find Source " & Filename & " Workbook." & _
            WriteTimeStampedEntry "Error occured opening " & Filename
            GoTo NextI
        End If
        WriteTimeStampedEntry "Finished opening " & Filename

' Cycle through our expected tabs
        For i = 1 To 8 Step 1

' Source book was found, data to use is on SheetName.
            SheetName = GetSheetName(i)
            With wb.Sheets(SheetName)
                    Err.Clear

' No SheetName tab found, look for next one.
                    GoTo NextSheet
                End If

' Setup our own master sheet
                Set Sheet = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(SheetName)

' We don't have a master copy of this sheet, create one.
                    Set Sheet = ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add
                    Sheet.Name = SheetName

' Transfer Headers, if we don't already have them
                    ColumnCount = 1
                    Do Until .Cells(1, ColumnCount).Value = VBA.Constants.vbNullString
                        Sheet.Cells(1, ColumnCount).Value = .Cells(1, ColumnCount).Value
                        ColumnCount = ColumnCount + 1
                    Loop
                End If

' Ensure we skip any headers. (set this value to the first row after the headers)
                lRow = 2

' Determine last Master sheet row
                lCurrRow = 1
                Do Until Sheet.Range("A" & lCurrRow).Value = VBA.Constants.vbNullString
                    lCurrRow = lCurrRow + 1
                Loop

' We are assuming the value in column A will be filled and there is no breaks until the
                WriteTimeStampedEntry "Starting data collection for " & Filename
                    n = 0
                    Do Until .Cells(1, n + 1).Value = VBA.Constants.vbNullString
                        Sheet.Range("A" & lCurrRow).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value = .Range("A" & lRow).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value
                        n = n + 1
                    Loop
                    lRow = lRow + 1
                    lCurrRow = lCurrRow + 1
                Loop
                WriteTimeStampedEntry "Finished data collection for " & Filename
            End With
NextSheet:
        Next
NextI:
        WriteTimeStampedEntry "Closed out " & Filename
SkipFile:
    Loop Until FindNextFile(hInstance, wFile) = 0
    FindClose hInstance
    Set wb = Nothing
End Sub
Function GetSheetName(ByVal Index As Long) As String
    Select Case Index
        Case 1: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_1
        Case 2: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_2
        Case 3: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_3
        Case 4: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_4
        Case 5: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_5
        Case 6: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_6
        Case 7: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_7
        Case 8: GetSheetName = SHEET_NAME_8
    End Select
End Function
Sub WriteTimeStampedEntry(ByVal msg As String)
    Dim oFileSystem
    Dim oTextStream
    Set oFileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set oTextStream = oFileSystem.OpenTextFile(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\CollectData.log", 8, True)
    oTextStream.WriteLine Now() & ": " & msg
    oTextStream.Close
    Set oTextStream = Nothing
    Set oFileSystem = Nothing
End Sub
Always remember to backup your work before running new code.

Upvote 0
Thank you for sending this version as well :)
Thanks Rosen one more time for your kind help, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Re: Macro to Consolidate Data from Different Workbooks into One Workbook I

Hi Rosen

I have got this working OK, but it seems a little slow as it works through line by line. Can it be set to retrieve a range instead. I need something like this.
range("a6").Select ' from source files
range(Selection.End(xlToRight), Selection.End(xlDown)).Copy

Me.range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset (1)
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Thanks in advance for your help.
pp

For i = 1 To 3 Step 1

On Error Resume Next
Set wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "" & GetSourceNameByIndex(i) & _
".xls", Password:=GetPasswordByIndex(i))
Err.Clear

' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ans = MsgBox("Could not find Source " & GetSourceNameByIndex(i) & " Workbook." & _
GoTo NextI
End If

' Source book was found, data to use is on Data Output.
With wb.Sheets("Data Output")
Err.Clear

' -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' No Data Output tab found, advise user.
' -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ans = MsgBox("Could not find Source " & GetSourceNameByIndex(i) & " Workbook's 'Da" & _
"ta Output' tab." & vbNewLine & "Do you wish to continue?", _
vbInformation + vbYesNo, "Error")
If ans = vbNo Then
wb.Close False
Exit Sub
End If
GoTo NextI
End If

lRow = 2

lCurrRow = lCurrRow + 1
For n = 0 To 6 Step 1
Me.Range("A" & lCurrRow).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value = .Range("A" & lRow).Offset(ColumnOffset:=n).Value
Next n
lRow = lRow + 1
Loop
End With
NextI:
wb.Close False
Next i
Set wb = Nothing
End Sub

Function GetSourceNameByIndex(ByVal Index As Long) As String
Select Case Index
Case 1: GetSourceNameByIndex = "Pipeline ABC"
Case 2: GetSourceNameByIndex = "Pipeline DEF"
Case 3: GetSourceNameByIndex = "Pipeline GHI"
End Select
End Function

Function GetPasswordByIndex(ByVal Index As Long) As String
Select Case Index
Case 1: GetPasswordByIndex = "Pipeline ABC Password"
Case 2: GetPasswordByIndex = "Pipeline DEF Password"
Case 3: GetPasswordByIndex = "Pipeline GHI Password"
End Select
End Function[/code]Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back