Excel Fixed Asset Register

howard

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking for a Excel Fixed asset template that I can use for Fixed asset additions, depreciation and controlling disposals (sale of assets)

It would be appreciated if anyone can advise where I can download a termplate

Thanks for providing a link to your fixed asset register. I have looked and tested many free asset registers and this is certainly the best I have come across. A huge amount of effort has gone into this. I have used some commercial fixed asset registers over the years and this is so much easier to use

I have tested a simple FA register for an NPO and it appears that the Dep Brought forward and monthly dep charge is incorrect

Please send me a PM with your email address so that I can send it to you to check and advise

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Thanks for the comments. As mentioned in my blog, it is a good workbook but has a couple of drawbacks that mean it won't suit everyone.

I've sent you a private message, so please get in touch with questions. The calculations should follow the formulae that I've described on the Instructions sheet. I'll also try to dig out the companion audit workbook that you can use to follow the calculations a bit more easily.

Upvote 0
have sent you an email. Could not reply on the PM as you PM inbox is full according to Mr Excel.com

Your kind assistance in resolving this is most appreciated

Regards

Howard

Upvote 0
Hi James

Your Fixed asset register is great and a lot of effort has gone into it. Please check your formula to calculate the monthly depreciation. It is not calculating this correctly

Upvote 0
Howard,
I've double checked the calculation and there is no error. You can see on the Instructions page of the workbook the exact formulae used to calculate depreciation. Here is what it says:
straight-line-graph.gif
formulae.png

The reason why there is a difference from your expected depreciation is that my workbook uses a daily calculation basis, not a monthly one.

Let me illustrate:
For assets with total historic cost of 28,872.49 and a book life of 60 months:

- your calculation gives a monthly depreciation of 28,872.49 / 60 = 481.21

- my calculation:
book life (in days) = book life (in months) x 30.4375, rounded down to the nearest integer
so book life (in days) = 60 x 30.4375 rounded to 1,826
depreciation calculation for January is 31 days x (28,872.49 / 1,826) = 490.17

Both are correct, just use a slightly different approach. As I said before, I've been using my workbook for years without a single problem. I believe it to be flawless, but it has the downside of being a bit inflexible. ;)

Regards,
James

Upvote 0
Hi James

Thanks for your reply and explanation. I now fully understand why I could not agree to your depreciation figure, as I was calculating monthly and your spreadsheet calculates daily. Daily is more precise as far as i'm concerned

Your Fixed asset program is great and I will definitely use it.

Upvote 0
Hi James

It would be appreciated if you would kindly post your formula so that I can compute the dep monthly

Many Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi jumpalongjim,

I am interested in this template. But it seems the webpage of this link does not exist now. If possible, could you send me the template by private message? Thanks.

For anyone new to the search for a fixed asset register in Excel, I've posted my own best effort online for public use. Try it and use it if it meets your requirements. I've been using it without a hitch for many years: it's one of my all time favourite workbooks.
https://reconcilable.com/blog/worlds-best-excel-workbook-for-fixed-assets/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back