Coloring Cells

elgringo56

Row 19, columns A,B &C contain data.
Row 19, colum E contains a formula that test the condition of the data in A19,B19 & C19 and returns the word "Error" to cell E19 if all conditions are not met. In G19, I would like an IF statement that would allow me to turn A19,B19 & C19 the color Red if E19 equals the word "Error". Any ideas of what that formula would be?

On 2002-04-30 21:29, elgringo56 wrote:
because the field I am gonna use this in is 10000 cells long and the user can change (delete) cells in it. An If statement would let me put a formula in a protected area that the user cant get to

Hi ElGringo:
Now that we know that you have a lot of rows where the Conditional Formatting is to be applied, and you want to protect it from the user changing it ...
1. lots of rows no probleme! -- copy the format of cells A19:C19 to the format to all the cells that you want the formatting applied to
and
2) to protect from the user not changing it -- protect the worksheet with or without a password and the user can not change the Conditional Formatting

I hope it clears your concerns. I am not trying to sell you on Conditional Formatting, but this is the way to do it.

Please post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and let us take it from there!

Regards
Yogi Anand

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Ok, here goes, the use can change the data in the area, that is a must. But by being able to change the day, they can also change the format by doing a delete or what ever. this is a problem

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-30 21:46, elgringo56 wrote:
Ok, here goes, the use can change the data in the area, that is a must. But by being able to change the day, they can also change the format by doing a delete or what ever. this is a problem

You can unprotect the cells that the user will need to change -- and if the worksheet is protected, the user can input into the cells, delete contents of the cells but can not change the Conditional Formatting of the cells.

Hope This Helps!

Regards
Yogi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back