Coloring Cells

elgringo56

Row 19, columns A,B &C contain data.
Row 19, colum E contains a formula that test the condition of the data in A19,B19 & C19 and returns the word "Error" to cell E19 if all conditions are not met. In G19, I would like an IF statement that would allow me to turn A19,B19 & C19 the color Red if E19 equals the word "Error". Any ideas of what that formula would be?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Try using conditional formatting for A thru C 19.
for condition 1 change option to "Formula is" and use this as the formula:
=$E$19="error"

Mav

Upvote 0
Thank you for responding, but I really dont understand the response. I am a true novice here. what I was looking for is something like, =IF(E19="Error",("A19:C19")=Color X,("A19:C19")=No Fill

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-30 18:35, elgringo56 wrote:
Row 19, columns A,B &C contain data.
Row 19, colum E contains a formula that test the condition of the data in A19,B19 & C19 and returns the word "Error" to cell E19 if all conditions are not met. In G19, I would like an IF statement that would allow me to turn A19,B19 & C19 the color Red if E19 equals the word "Error". Any ideas of what that formula would be?

Hi elgringo56:
You don't need a special formula in cell G19, what you need to do is CONDITION FORMATTING for cells A19, B19, and C19. This is first you need to do.

Highlite cell A19 -- then FORMAT|CONDITIONAL_FORMATTING
then in the dialog box condition 1, say formula is:
=$E$19="Error"
then click on Format...then Patterns ... then color red ... then OK.
Now copy the format from cell A19 to cells B19 and C19.

That will do it.

Hope this Helps!

Upvote 0
Hi Mav:
I might have been keying in my response just as you posted yours. In any event now elgringo56 has a step by step procedure for what he needs to do.

Regards!
Yogi Anand

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will give that a shot. It kinda makes sence to me, which is strange cuz not much in this does so far. LOL

Upvote 0
Sorry, guys, I live deep down in Mexico and we had one of our famous power outages for a while, so took a bit before I could try it. That does what I need, to an extent, but would sure be more convienent if there were a way to do it with an IF statement. Thanks for all you help..........ElGringo

Upvote 0
You cannot change cell colors, column widths, row heights with formulas. However, you can change colors with conditional formatting.

If you are wanting to change colors without using conditional formatting, I would suggest learning VBA. It is not that hard to learn, yet it is very powerful.

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-30 20:28, elgringo56 wrote:
Sorry, guys, I live deep down in Mexico and we had one of our famous power outages for a while, so took a bit before I could try it. That does what I need, to an extent, but would sure be more convienent if there were a way to do it with an IF statement. Thanks for all you help..........ElGringo

Hi ElGringo:
Any particular reason you would like to do it with an IF statement? ... Why don't you like Conditional Formatting?

Upvote 0
because the field I am gonna use this in is 10000 cells long and the user can change (delete) cells in it. An If statement would let me put a formula in a protected area that the user cant get to

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back