Finding a value in a multiple column array and returning column header - Excel 2003

NairbNam

Hi guys first post here.

I am attempting to lookup a cell value in a 3 column by 20 row array. Depending on which column the value is found, I would like to return that column's header value.

I think I am making this overly complicated for myself. Basically I need a statement that will perform an Hlookup on three columns but I'm not sure exactly how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This thread appeared to be exactly what I was looking for, but all my attempts to get it to work on my spreadsheet return errors.

I have a table consisting of numbers and blank cells from G11:LL330. I want to find where a number,let's say "14," is located in this table and copy the contents of the cell in Row 1 of the column where 14 was found into cell A1. Then I want to copy the contents of the cell in Column 1 of the row where 14 was found into cell A2. It sure sounds like the same problem described above, but I'm missing something.

Oh, and I'm using EXCEL 2010

Please post a small sample, say G11:K15, the input and the expected results (the output), which can be copied directly into Excel cells.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hey! After trying out this formula, it worked perfectly but i do not understand how it works ): Do you mind explaining and guide me through the steps?

Thanks and regards,
Excelneedshelp :)

Upvote 0
Try this...

Sheet1

ABCDEF
1Header1Header2Header3_LookupLocation
2221065_94Header2
3441559___
4489431___
5332986___

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:72px;"><col style="width:72px;"><col style="width:72px;"><col style="width:20px;"><col style="width:72px;"><col style="width:72px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

This array formula** entered in F2:

=INDEX(A1:C1,MAX(IF(A2:C5=E2,COLUMN(A2:C5)-COLUMN(A1)+1)))

** array formulas need to be entered using the key
combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER).
Hold down both the CTRL key and the SHIFT key
then hit ENTER.

Hey! After trying out this formula on Excel2013, it worked perfectly but i do not understand how it works ): Do you mind explaining and guide me through the steps? Please do reply if you see this :)

Thanks and regards,

Upvote 0
Hey! After trying out this formula on Excel2013, it worked perfectly but i do not understand how it works ): Do you mind explaining and guide me through the steps? Please do reply if you see this :)

Thanks and regards,

The IF bit in

INDEX(A1:C1,MAX(IF(A2:C5=E2,COLUMN(A2:C5)-COLUMN(A1)+1)))

delivers column numbers of cells in A2:C5 which are equal to to the value of E2.

MAX picks out the highest column number and feeds that number to INDEX.

INDEX yields the value from A1:C1 at that column number.

For the sample the exhibit shows we get successively...

INDEX(A1:C1,MAX({FALSE,FALSE,FALSE;FALSE,FALSE,FALSE;FALSE,2,FALSE;FALSE,FALSE,FALSE}))

==>

=INDEX(A1:C1,2)

==>

Header2

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks. About 10 seconds after I posted I noticed I hadn't paid attention to the ** about saving the equation as an array equation -- that is a function of EXCEL I was not aware of. I'm reading up on it and that may have resolved my question.

Thanks for all the help -- I'll let you know how it works out.

That worked -- THANKS!!!

Upvote 0
The IF bit in

INDEX(A1:C1,MAX(IF(A2:C5=E2,COLUMN(A2:C5)-COLUMN(A1)+1)))

delivers column numbers of cells in A2:C5 which are equal to to the value of E2.

MAX picks out the highest column number and feeds that number to INDEX.

INDEX yields the value from A1:C1 at that column number.

For the sample the exhibit shows we get successively...

INDEX(A1:C1,MAX({FALSE,FALSE,FALSE;FALSE,FALSE,FALSE;FALSE,2,FALSE;FALSE,FALSE,FALSE}))

==>

=INDEX(A1:C1,2)

==>

Header2

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! However I still don't get the part on the [value_if_true] of the IF formula and what "-COLUMN(A1)+1" is supposed to mean. Do reply if you see this. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help! However I still don't get the part on the [value_if_true] of the IF formula and what "-COLUMN(A1)+1" is supposed to mean. Do reply if you see this. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

The formula:

=INDEX(A1:C1,MAX(IF(A2:C5=E2,COLUMN(A1:C1)-COLUMN(A1)+1)))

in which I replaced COLUMN(A2:C5) with COLUMN(A1:C1), not a change of significance.

What we want from the COLUMN(A1:C1)-COLUMN(A1)+1 bit, is that it consists of {1, 2, 3}. That's what happens:

{1,2,3}-COLUMN(A1)+1

>>

{1,2,3}-{1}+1

>>

{0,1,2}+1

>>

{1,2,3}

If we would insert a new column in front of column A in:

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
1​
Header1Header2Header3LookupLocation
2​
Header2
3​
4​
5​

we would have:

COLUMN(B1:D1)-COLUMN(B1)+1

which would still yield exactly what we want:

{1,2,3}

That is,

COLUMN(A1:C1)

would not be robust for after the insertion of the column as described above, we would get:

COLUMN(B1:D1)

which would give:

{2,3,4}, not {1,2,3}.

Hope this is clear.

A side note. The main formula, as it is set up, would miss a second occurrence associated with a different header

Having only COLUMN(A1:C1) bit would

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back