Barcode scanning with Excel

Chief1904

My office is trying to go paperless with our hunting program and issue ID cards with bar codes. I'm trying to have a barcode scanner be able to scan the ID card and pull up their information in excel or access. How can I do this? My boss doesn't want to spend $12,000 on a full setup of software and hardware. Any help would be great!

It is still spitting out the error message... I ran the accuracy test and the outputs are the same yet when the number is plugged into the "scan output" sheet, it is not liking it. Do you have any ideas to fix this?

Thanks

Zach

How about posting a link to the workbook where the errors are occurring, along with some actual barcode scan values.

I will use those barcodes scans in a drop down in cell A2 to see if I can figure out what's going on.

We are scanning into B2 first, then A2 second... correct?

Howard

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
That is correct. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. It seems when the item is typed in it is spit out as a wrong number, whereas when the value is copied and pasted in, it works

Zach

My observations are...
Cells A2 and B2 have drop downs.
A2 is formatted as Number, showing two decimal points.
Cell N4 and N7 on sheet Data Input each has a trailing space "QA " should be "QA" and "SHIP " should be "SHIP"

This works for me on the workbook you linked.

B2 data is entered first, then A2 second.
I dragged both drop down in A2 and B2 out the action cell locations. A2 is now formatted as General (as is B2), neither has a drop down.
Typing into OR copy and pasting into A2 any of the values you show as examples all work as expected for me.
B2 entries function as they should also.

The linked workbook apparently is not your actual workbook so if you duplicate your actual to this test workbook, I cannot see why it would not work for you.

I also noticed there was a space missing in the alert message where:

This - MsgBox "No " & myFndX & "match found."

Should be this - MsgBox "No " & myFndX & " match found."

Howard

Upvote 0
So if you're keying in the barcode number into the A2 cell, it was working for you? I just tried it and it didn't seem to want to work for me... B2 works just fine, it's the input into cell A2 that has been giving me some trouble

Upvote 0
So if you're keying in the barcode number into the A2 cell, it was working for you? I just tried it and it didn't seem to want to work for me... B2 works just fine, it's the input into cell A2 that has been giving me some trouble

Yes, typing in the B2 entry like HEM and then typing in one of the example numbers like 4635349 into A2 works just fine.

What do you mean... "I just tried it and it didn't seem to want to work for me..." what is not working?
Do you get the "No Match" alert?
Is it not returning the correct data to the other worksheet?
What exactly is happening.
Are you using a different workbook than the one you linked in post #112 ?

Howard

Upvote 0
The B2 input is working just fine, but every time I type a number into the A2 cell I'm getting the error message saying "the number you entered is not valid"

In your reference above, I type in 4635349 to A2 and immediate get the error message. I then check the "inventory status" page and find that it's populate a scan despite the error being recorded. Although the data is recorded, it does not match up to the "data input" table. The first line below is the output in "inventory status". The second line is the data 4635349 is associated with in the "data input" table.

Hope you can help figure this out! Thanks again for everything

496342US CS ANSI 3IN1 SHELL S ANSI YE4Hemming (Pants)12/1/2017 19:51

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col span="2"><col span="2"><col><col><col></colgroup>

4635349481889WR CS PENCIL SKIRT 16 PAS PLU AWFemale Tailored-skirt10/22/1782576

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col span="3"><col><col span="7"><col><col><col><col span="5"></colgroup>

Upvote 0
Copy and paste the code that is giving you these inaccurate results you show. That code would be in the sheet module for the sheet that you are scanning your numbers into B2 and A2.

I want to see that code, you say... "I'm getting the error message saying "the number you entered is not valid" and that is different from the error warning for a mismatch in the workbook you posted a link to in Post #112 .

[Are you using a different workbook than the one you linked in post [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=112]#112 [/URL] ?/QUOTE]

You did not answer this question I asked of you in post #115.
It is important that we are both seeing and using identical workbooks. If you are using a different workbook than the one you linked in #112 then I cannot help. It all works fine for me with the linked workbook.

Howard

Upvote 0
Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect(Target, Range("$A$2")) Is Nothing Or Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
Dim LRow As Long, LRowX As Long
Dim aRng As Range, rngFnd As Range, rngFndX As Range
Dim myFnd As String, myFndX As String
myFnd = Target
myFndX = Target.Offset(, 1)
  If myFnd = "" Then
    Exit Sub
  ElseIf IsNumeric(myFnd) Then
    myFnd = Val(myFnd) '/ converts a "text" number to a value
  Else
    '/ is text and that is okay
End If
   With Sheets("Data Input")
    LRow = Sheets("Data Input").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Set rngFnd = Sheets("Data Input").Range("A2:A" & LRow).Find(What:=myFnd, _
                     LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                     SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False)

If Not rngFnd Is Nothing Then

rngFnd.Resize(1, 6).Copy Sheets("Inventory Scan").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2)
       Sheets("Inventory Scan").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(, 6) = Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss")

rngFnd.Offset(, 1).Resize(1, 5).Copy Sheets("Inventory Status").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2)
       Sheets("Inventory Status").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(, 6) = Format(Now(), "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss")

Else
        MsgBox "No " & myFnd & " match found."

End If

LRowX = Sheets("Data Input").Cells(Rows.Count, "N").End(xlUp).Row

Set rngFndX = Sheets("Data Input").Range("N3:N" & LRowX).Find(What:=myFndX, _
                     LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                     SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False)
   If Not rngFndX Is Nothing Then

rngFndX.Resize(1, 2).Copy Sheets("Location Scan").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)(2)
         rngFndX.Offset(, 1).Copy Sheets("Inventory Status").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(, 5)
         Sheets("Location Scan").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(, 2) = Format(Now(), "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss")
       Else
        MsgBox "No " & myFndX & "match found."

End If
    End With

[A2].Activate
End Sub

Above is the code that is in the sheet module as requested. Here is the Gdrive link to the spreadsheet I'm using https://drive.google.com/open?id=15XXnsrEUl1_X0MyB9lwFJipdRFF7nRiW

Here is a screen grab that shows the error code I'm getting despite using validated values from the "data input" tab https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O1iFeoCXaxJrNzB_34zNeW74ahcbaWFZ/view

I hope this helps

Thanks

Upvote 0
A couple of things... I don't know why the drop down would show an error with what appears to be a valid Inv Scan number.

On sheet Data Input in range N3:N7 there are a couple of trailing spaces in the Location abbreviations. Remove them.

On your actual sheet you will not be using drop downs in A2 and B2 (I use them to simulate a scan). I deleted the current drop downs and reinstalled them using the five example scan numbers in column F and the Location abbreviations in column G. All worked fine as far as transferring data to their proper locations, notwithstanding the following.

The biggest problem I see is the numerous duplications on sheet Data Input column A.

Put this formula in cell M3 and fill down to row 3197. You have about 60 +- duplicates values in column A.

=IF(COUNTIF($A$3:$A$3197, $A3)>1, "Duplicate", "")

Remove the duplications and recheck the sheet Scan Outouts operation.
Also, your data in the columns F and L appears to be incomplete from row 3143 on down.

Once you have your data cleaned up, see if this clears the issues.

Howard

Upvote 0
Hi there.

I just wanted to note, that it's also possible to scan barcodes into Excel without a barcode scanner.
You can use your iOS or Android phone/pad and scan the barcodes with Scan-IT to Office directly into your Excel sheet.
Since this app uses cloud services, you don't need to be at your computer to do that.

Scan-IT to Office - App: https://itunes.apple.com/app/scan-it-to-office/id1241932661
Scan-IT to Office - Office Add-In: https://appsource.microsoft.com/product/office/WA104381026

greetings

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back