delete text within a cell which is a specific color and retain formatting of the remaining text

Ogungen

Hi - i've written following code which is intended to delete all text in cells within a range which are in a specific color. It does indeed delete the text of the specified color - however the formatting of the remaining text is altered / not maintained. Would you have any advice?

e.g. "are you opened open on sunday?" should become: "are you open on sunday?"

Code>>>>

Sub deletecolor()
Dim rng As Range, sTemp As String, ct As Long
Set rng = Range("A1:A10")
For Each c In rng
ct = 0
sTemp = vbNullString
For i = Len(c.Text) To 1 Step -1
If c.Characters(i, 1).Font.Color = RGB(0,0,0) Then
ct = ct + 1
If ct = 1 Then
sTemp = WorksheetFunction.Replace(c.Text, i, 1, "")
Else
sTemp = WorksheetFunction.Replace(sTemp, i, 1, "")
End If
End If
Next i
If ct > 0 Then c.Value = sTemp
Next c
End Sub

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Your descriptions and code do not seem to match. You say you want to delete text of a "specific color". From your expected results it would appear that the color to delete is red as your expected result retains the green text.

You also say your code deletes the specified color text, implying that the only problem is the color of the remaining text. However, my testing shows that the existing code deletes both the red (opened) and the green (open) text.

Assuming that what you want to do is delete the red text only and keep the rest, including green, try this in a copy of your workbook.

Note that it only tries to replicate font colour and any underlining. If you want more (eg Bold) you would need to add extra dimensions to the array aCol and collect and re-write that info by expanding the relevant sections of the code. Post back with more details if you want to do that and need help.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> deletecolor_v2()<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> s <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, sTemp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> aCol<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> p <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, k <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, L <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>  <br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rng = Range("A1:A10")<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> rng<br>    s = c.Value<br>    L = Len(s)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> L > 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>      k = 0<br>      sTemp = vbNullString<br>      <SPAN style="color:#00007F">ReDim</SPAN> aCol(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> L, 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 2)<br>      <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> p = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> L<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> c.Characters(p, 1).Font.Color <> vbRed <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>          k = k + 1<br>          aCol(k, 1) = c.Characters(p, 1).Font.Color<br>          aCol(k, 2) = c.Characters(p, 1).Font.Underline<br>          sTemp = sTemp & Mid(s, p, 1)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>      <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> p<br>      c.Value = sTemp<br>      <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> p = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> k<br>        c.Characters(p, 1).Font.Color = aCol(p, 1)<br>        c.Characters(p, 1).Font.Underline = aCol(p, 2)<br>      <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> p<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Peter! thank you very much for your kind help - this has indeed solved my problem - a big thank you from my wife!!!

brgds,

Osman

Upvote 0
Another possibility using the Characters' Delete method:

Code:
Sub deletecolor()
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim c As Range
    Dim i As Long
    Set rng = Range("A1:A10")
    For Each c In rng
        For i = Len(c.Text) To 1 Step -1
            With c.Characters(i, 1)
                If .Font.ColorIndex = 3 Then
                    .Delete
                End If
            End With
        Next i
    Next c
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back