Dynamic cell address?

Von Pookie

MrExcel MVP
I've stumped myself yet again.

I have a cell named "bounce" that will provide the column, and the row I can determine using Activecell.row. The column will constantly be changing as I will be adding columns now and then, hence the named range.

What I can't figure out is how to put them together to make a usable cell address.

I only need to come up with this so I can use an end(xltoleft) command to get to the last row of my data--I tried doing this the "easy" way of just whatever row has the currently active cell and doing an xltoright, but there are some blanks in the data here and there and it buggers it all up.

Any thoughts?

(Note: I most likely won't be able to reply until Dec. 1 when I'm back at work with the file in front of me)

That may work...I'll give it a try in a little bit and see if I can work it into my loop stuff.

I have thought of the column limit, though. I'm not sure what he'll do when he hits that.

I guess I'll just assume I'll still be here by that time and can simply update the code for him. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hiya Tusharm:

Just wanted to verify that it seems to be working.

Now if I can just get my other if statements thought-out, into code, implemented and working...

Upvote 0
You are welcome. And, if you got everything working, you'd be bored and causing trouble elsewhere...

On a more serious note...

I may have mentioned this before -- hopefully not. If you are want to -- or have to -- get good working with code and XL, you have to take the time to look up the literature below. It's an abbreviated list from 'Programming Techniques: Concepts and Examples' -- my Bachelor's thesis from a long time ago. Some of the material may no longer be available, but if it is, reading it will be one of the best investments you make. Start with 18 and 11.

If you want to see really outstanding use of the XL object model, follow Dana DeLouis's posts in the XL newsgroups. As good as I am at leveraging the object model, every so often Dana does something that leaves me shaking my head in wonder.

1. Dijkstra, E.W., “The Humble Programmer,” Comm ACM, Vol 15, No. 10, (Oct 1972), pp 859 - 866.
3. Denning, P., “Guest Editorial,” ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 6, No. 4 (Dec 74).
4. Dijkstra, E.W., “A short Introduction to the Art of Programming,” Computer Society of India, 1977.
5. Wirth, N., “On the composition of well-structured Programs,” ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 6, No. 4, (Dec 74), pp 247 - 260.
9. Knuth, D.E., “Structured Programming with goto Statements,” ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 6, No. 4, (Dec 74), pp 261 - 301.
11. Wirth, N., “Algorithm + Data Structures = Programs,” 1976, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
18. Kernighan and Plauger, “Elements of Programming Style”.

Von Pookie said:
Hiya Tusharm:

Just wanted to verify that it seems to be working.

Now if I can just get my other if statements thought-out, into code, implemented and working...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back