Max Number of Columns?

steve9

A collegue sent me an excel spreadsheet that only had about 20 or 30 columns in it, I needed to insert another one, but Excel said it couldn't shift nonblank cells off the worksheet. How do I make the worksheet bigger?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hey I've seen that.

Usually you can solve by selecting all of the columns to the right of the data and hitting editclear all. Then try it again..

Adam

Upvote 0
Here is a screenshot of the problem :(

problem.txt

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi,

You cannot exceed 256 columns in any version of Excel. However, exceeding 256 does not seem to be the actual case in your situation.

On occasion, some character, possibly even a non-printable one, is found in the last cell of a column or row (or both). Go to column IV and delete the column (possibly a few more if necessary). Then, you will be able to insert columns as normal.

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
I've had this happen quite often. When you insert a new column XL must delete one of the end ( it always has 256 cols. ).

What I usually do is delete a few empty columns ( 10 or 20 ) to the right of the data. This usually sorts it.

Upvote 0
Do you have any hidden columns? Try unhiding and possibly format all columns to a specific width. You may be able to then do some of the steps listed earlier.

Adam

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I ended up having to just Clear->All some columns at the end out like you said.

Wierd...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back