Is there a fix for the Excel 2010 Row Height issue?

schatham

I have a worksheet with 7 or 8 columns in it, with the source data copied from another spreadsheet. When I pasted it into my new worksheet, some rows display (and print preview also) with an extra line below the text. The font is Calibri 11 point, and the zoom is 100%.

I have done a number of things to try to get it to resolve, but with no success.
1. Written a macro to autofit rows in a selected range (doesn't do anything).
2. I have clicked on the row in question, gone to Home -> Cells -> Format -> Auto-fit Row Height (doesn't do anything).
3. Clicked on the cells above and below & done the Format ->Auto-fit Row Height (doesn't do anything).
4. Clicked on cells above & below & then clicked on the line between the cells to Auto Fit (doesn't do anything).
5. Have gone into the Options for Copy & Paste, unchecked the Copy Paste option, saved & closed the book then re-opened (doesn't do anything)
6. Have re-checked the Copy Paste option, saved, closed & re-opened book (doesn't do anything)
7. Changed both the font and font size (doesn't do anything)
8. Changed the zoom to under 100% and over 100% both (doesn't do anything)
9. Unchecked & then Checked the Word Wrap setting (doesn't do anything).
10. Selected Top Align, saved & re-opened; selected Bottom Align, saved & re-opened, then checked Top Align, saved & re-opened (doesn't do anything)
11. Used colorful language (didn't do anything, but it did make me feel better)

I did notice though, when I took OFF the Word Wrap setting, that the cells in that column all went to the proper height. It was only when I checked Word Wrap that the extra line came back.

The font is Calibri 11 point, and the column width is 35.71, and the text is 40 characters. Excel I am using has no add-ins. The source sheet had this issue, but I have tried pasting it both with & without formatting from the source with no change.

Is there a solution for this that I haven't found or tried yet? I didn't want to go into the registry to try & fix it.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions I have yet to try to resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I would suggest checking the values in the cells on one of those rows and see if there is either more text than fits the width (try autofit the width) or a hard return or blanks at the end of one of the cells.

Upvote 0
I would suggest checking the values in the cells on one of those rows and see if there is either more text than fits the width (try autofit the width) or a hard return or blanks at the end of one of the cells.

I had already done that before posting. The 39 characters (I mis-counted when I made the original post) of text had no line feed, blanks or a hard return at the end of the cells in question. The only spaces in it are between the words in the string. It is only when Word Wrap is checked that this issue presents itself.

If I take Word Wrap off, all the cells will return to their default height (15.75). Also, with Word Wrap unchecked, that same data now fits in the cell without the extra line at the end. Even though there is no extra character in the text, something done by enabling Word Wrap adds "something" to that string.

Other strings of 39 characters do not have this "extra" line.

Upvote 0
A follow-up on the original post.

I went back & manually re-typed the data in the cell, first using placeholders (in upper & lower case letters) and it did not give me an extra line on the cell. I then went back & edited the cell, changing the letters one by one until I had replaced all the placeholders with the proper letters. And - the cell with the new data in it did NOT have the extra line.

So - even though I am copying & pasting it both with and without the source formatting, it is somehow retaining the source's formatting. The source's formatting for whatever reason cannot be re-set or cleared & is getting passed on to the properties of the new cell. Since the new cell may not have any formatting, there's nothing to reset (autofit), or whatever is getting pasted is not causing the row height flag to be set & the autofit tool functions as if it has nothing to do on that cell. Pasting that text into a text editor doesn't show any extra characters or unprintable ones, and nothing shows up when pasting the text anywhere else.

Weird.

Upvote 0
word wrap should not force an extra line. I think you may have the column width a hair too tight and so it is wrapping to the next line when it leaves the space around the last character.

What happens if you change the column width to 36?

As a test I typed the phrase "this is a test of the length of a field" (Amazingly it was 39 characters) In all lower case it fit in a cell 30.57 in upper case it needed 35.57. If the field is all Cap W (the widest character) it needs 73 to display without wrapping.

Just pasting a value into a cell will not change the column width to make sure that it fits the unformatted cell. Try double clicking the right edge of the column and see if it grows a smidge.

Upvote 0
I think we have encountered the same problem just this week and it looks like the automatic row height with word wrap works differently in the worksheet than in preview or printing:

I have a sample where the word wrap causes the cell to have space for five rows of text and one word is on the fifth row. But when I'll go to print preview or print, all text in that cell fits on four rows and the fifth row stays there as the top row, empty. Sometimes, but not always.

https://twitter.com/AnttiKivivalli/status/364700540246032384/photo/1

Upvote 0
Oddly enough i just found the same problem, and with the same solution. However, i was copying the data from another sheet in the same file, and the formatting on that sheet worked correctly for word wrap. After being copied to the new sheet, even though the formatting was identical to the instance where it worked properly, and the content was identical, it wouldnt work. When i copied the content of the cell from the formula bar to a new cell that had been unformatted in the new sheet, suddenly it works.

As the OP said, i have to reiterate - wierd.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back