Calculating LY MTD Sales

mct2012

I am trying to figure out how to write a formula that will allow me to report LY MTD sales. The problem is that I have the entire drop of data for all of 2012 already dumped into the LY sales tab. I tried doing a sumifs function (as there are multiple attributes to be met in order to the get the number I am looking for), but the problem is, because I have all of my data for LY month '2' it delivers the entire month instead of just where we are MTD (i.e. feb wk 1 & feb wk 2). Is there a formula that will let me calculate LY MTD without include weeks which haven't occurred yet?

Disclaimer: I think I asked a very similar question in the past and could not find my old thread..

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I'm not following you. LY is "last year," yes? MTD is "month-to-date." With that, what do you mean by "include weeks which haven't occurred yet?" Since you are dealing with 2012, all the weeks have completed. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm quite baffled at the moment. What I'm reading is that you want a running, cumulative total by week for each of the 52 weeks last year.

Upvote 0
I'm not following you. LY is "last year," yes? MTD is "month-to-date." With that, what do you mean by "include weeks which haven't occurred yet?" Since you are dealing with 2012, all the weeks have completed. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm quite baffled at the moment. What I'm reading is that you want a running, cumulative total by week for each of the 52 weeks last year.

Sorry for the confusion. Let me see if I can explain it a little better. I am looking to calculate TY MTD sales to LY MTD sales, (i.e. Feb Wk 1 & Feb Wk 2, 2013 vs Feb Wk 1 & Feb Wk 2, 2012), so that I can evaluate my % comp. What is happening is that I get the entire month of February 2012 as my MTD number because I have all the data from 2012 in my data dump tab, therefore I am not able to exclude weeks (i.e. Feb Wk 3 & Feb Wk 2, 2012) which haven't happened yet this year. Does this help clarify? Please let me know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca142

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back