Can't copy/paste in the same workbook

DJM1216

Board Regular
Hello, I have a workbook with multiple tabs. I'm trying to copy some data from one tab to the next. Walking through the steps:

I highlight the data I want to copy.
Right click "Copy"
Go to the tab where I want to paste
Right click (and "paste" is grayed out)

This is all within the same workbook. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
No, and I should add that this is Excel 2010, I left that out of my original post.

When I copy, I get the squiggly lines (like it's copying), click over to the other tab and then back again and the lines are solid.

So for some reason just clicking the other tab removes the data from the clipboard.

Upvote 0
Close all Excel instances, open a blank sheet and type something, then try it again? Does it work? If not I would suggest there is something wrong with Windows Clipboard. Sometimes other programs can take it over, Screen Capture programs, snag it etc.. remote control software that use Keyboard and mouse over several computers etc..

Reboot maybe?

Upvote 0
If you hit Alt F11, which will open VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) Do you see or have any code in there for your workbook/worksheet?

Have you installed any add-ins recently?

You could try this, which I found in another post on this subject:

Open Excel
hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

type this and hit enter:
application.commandbars("cell").reset

Upvote 0
I agree - possibly check this as well.

Close all excel applications and press ctrl/shift and esc to bring up the task manager, click processes tab and end task on any excel.exe processes listed.
When an excel process gets stuck in memory; every time you open excel it creates a new instance and when you try and paste from one process to another excel assumes you are using an external program and brings a different paste option.

Multiple excel documents only require a single excel process to be running.

Upvote 0
Hi there, yes it is in a workbook that has an add-in as well as VBA. I will have to work with IT to figure out the problem. I figured I'd post here and see if it was a quick fix.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have the same problem so I googled and found my way here .

You are so awesome!! the code totally solved my problem!!

THANKS ALOT!
If you hit Alt F11, which will open VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) Do you see or have any code in there for your workbook/worksheet?

Have you installed any add-ins recently?

You could try this, which I found in another post on this subject:

Open Excel
hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

type this and hit enter:
application.commandbars("cell").reset

Upvote 0
Well, this didn't work for me. :( I have still the same problems. When I try to cut (or copy and paste) I see this message:
"Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. choose less data or close other applications"
I have no other applications open and this only happens in this workbook. Somehow and suddenly the workbook is messed up. I have been accued of changing things randomly but I don't think so this time :)
I am using Office 2010 on Win7 with 2GB ram

Upvote 0
Well, this didn't work for me. :( I have still the same problems. When I try to cut (or copy and paste) I see this message:
"Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. choose less data or close other applications"
I have no other applications open and this only happens in this workbook. Somehow and suddenly the workbook is messed up. I have been accued of changing things randomly but I don't think so this time :)
I am using Office 2010 on Win7 with 2GB ram

Please double check your worksheet and confirm that there is no code or macro running in the background in worksheet selection change sub procedure. This always causes the copy mode to be cleared off the moment you select another range of cells to paste.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back