Excel 2013 Issue - Opening a worksheet, opens a new blank worksheet too

privatemoon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I had Office 2010, but I thought I should try out Office 2013, however once I did I found that everytime I opened up one of my Excel worksheets I also opened up a second, blank worksheet as well. At first I thought it was my personal.xlsx, but when I unhid it (saved), then hid it again (saved), the blank worksheet still appeared. I have no idea what the issue is, can anyone help me out?

I had the same problem with my office computer with Windows 10 and Office 365 Pro Plus. My company McAfee DLP policy was preventing a file ( in the path x2txtHM.dll) C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\Xerox\Language Data\V5.0\en-us. I renamed it to x2txtHM1.dll (added 1 next to the file) and its opening fast and no more blank file along with my spreadsheets.

FYI, this is not posted in any of the forums. So first on Mr Excel :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Here are the results of my testing with the ASAP Utilities extra workbook appears then remains open at exit issue. My workstation is running 32bit Office 2013a under Windows 8.1 64bit. (Your Mileage May Vary)
• The blank-extra workbook only appears when Excel is started by double clicking an existing workbook file, NOT in a new workbook when Excel is started from the application shortcut.
• If the blank-extra workbook is closed first it also closes the other (real) workbook.
• The issue only occurs if ASAP Utilities is one of multiple Add-Ins that are enabled.
• The issue is NOT present if ASAP Utilities is the ONLY Add-In enabled.
• The issue is NOT present if ASAP Utilities is THE FIRST Add-In enabled of several.
• HERE IS THE CORRECTION THAT WORKED FOR ME:
1. Disable/uncheck ALL Add-Ins, and Close ALL workbook(s).
2. Open any workbook and Enable/check the ASAP Utilities ADD-In, then Close the workbook.
3. Open any workbook and enable/check the additional Add-In(s), then Close the workbook.
4. Open AN EXISTING-WORKBOOK FILE, and (hopefully) the blank-extra workbook will not open.

To explain the behavior in other words; ASAP Utilities seems to have a “me first” attitude. On my computer it just wants to be chosen first. Given the multitude of Add-In problems that are present in Office 2013, I am grateful that ASAP Utilities is still working at all – It is a great value and I encourage all users to make a contribution to the developer.

Chuck
Just wanted to say that this fixed an issue I was having after I had installed ASAP Utilities.

Thank you Chuck!

Upvote 0
Here are the results of my testing with the ASAP Utilities extra workbook appears then remains open at exit issue. My workstation is running 32bit Office 2013a under Windows 8.1 64bit. (Your Mileage May Vary)
• The blank-extra workbook only appears when Excel is started by double clicking an existing workbook file, NOT in a new workbook when Excel is started from the application shortcut.
• If the blank-extra workbook is closed first it also closes the other (real) workbook.
• The issue only occurs if ASAP Utilities is one of multiple Add-Ins that are enabled.
• The issue is NOT present if ASAP Utilities is the ONLY Add-In enabled.
• The issue is NOT present if ASAP Utilities is THE FIRST Add-In enabled of several.
• HERE IS THE CORRECTION THAT WORKED FOR ME:
1. Disable/uncheck ALL Add-Ins, and Close ALL workbook(s).
2. Open any workbook and Enable/check the ASAP Utilities ADD-In, then Close the workbook.
3. Open any workbook and enable/check the additional Add-In(s), then Close the workbook.
4. Open AN EXISTING-WORKBOOK FILE, and (hopefully) the blank-extra workbook will not open.

To explain the behavior in other words; ASAP Utilities seems to have a “me first” attitude. On my computer it just wants to be chosen first. Given the multitude of Add-In problems that are present in Office 2013, I am grateful that ASAP Utilities is still working at all – It is a great value and I encourage all users to make a contribution to the developer.

Chuck
you are the man ! haha thank you so mucch

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back