Excel 2013 Issue - Opening a worksheet, opens a new blank worksheet too

privatemoon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I had Office 2010, but I thought I should try out Office 2013, however once I did I found that everytime I opened up one of my Excel worksheets I also opened up a second, blank worksheet as well. At first I thought it was my personal.xlsx, but when I unhid it (saved), then hid it again (saved), the blank worksheet still appeared. I have no idea what the issue is, can anyone help me out?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I'm having issues with 2013 too. MS had me load the updates and it helped some. Overall, 2013 is not what I had hoped for. Excel 2007 seems to be the most stable for the workbook I use most.

Upvote 0
Try taking a look in OPTIONS/SAVE and see where your "default file location" is. I had this problem too until I changed this location to somewhere else

Edit: I have not heard anything good about 2013, most who have it, wish they didnt, and would go back to 2007/2010

Upvote 0
Try taking a look in OPTIONS/SAVE and see where your "default file location" is. I had this problem too until I changed this location to somewhere else

Edit: I have not heard anything good about 2013, most who have it, wish they didnt, and would go back to 2007/2010

Thanks for the reply, I tried changing the default save location to my desktop, but it still had the same issue, I think it may be related to personal.xlsx but I'm not sure.

Yeah, Office 2013 sucks, but I can't change it now even if I wanted to, it was installed in every computer in my office.

Upvote 0
Why can't you reninstall a previous version? I have 07, 10 and 13 on my computer? I plan to keep these until the bugs are worked out of 13.

Upvote 0
Why can't you reninstall a previous version? I have 07, 10 and 13 on my computer? I plan to keep these until the bugs are worked out of 13.

Office 2013 was already installed throughout the office, it would take time to uninstall and then reinstall 2010. Besides, Office doesn't really have any serious defects like force closes that would make my boss consider downgrading.

Topic:

I think I've found the solution, first I unhid personal.xlsx and saved. I thought it was a problem with one of my add-ons so I disabled ASAP Utilities, then closed the document. I opened up the document again, closed the document, which left me with only personal.xlsx, hid that, closed the document, and selected to save the personal.xlsx in the prompt.

When I opened up the document again, there was only the document and not a second blank spreedsheet.

Upvote 0
Office 2013 was already installed throughout the office, it would take time to uninstall and then reinstall 2010. Besides, Office doesn't really have any serious defects like force closes that would make my boss consider downgrading.

Topic:

I think I've found the solution, first I unhid personal.xlsx and saved. I thought it was a problem with one of my add-ons so I disabled ASAP Utilities, then closed the document. I opened up the document again, closed the document, which left me with only personal.xlsx, hid that, closed the document, and selected to save the personal.xlsx in the prompt.

When I opened up the document again, there was only the document and not a second blank spreedsheet.

I have the same problem with Excel 2013 - it first opens a blank workbook before it opens the actual selected workbook. I have searched for personal.xlsx but cannot locate it. Has anyone else managed to fix this?

Upvote 0
have you tried turning off the start up screen in options .... general .... it fixed a few annoyances for me

Upvote 0
Thanks - tried that but unfortunately it didn't work. This problem only started recently after I had to force start my laptop after windows 8.1 froze up a few times. I have tried doing an Office repair but that hasn't helped. I also had the same problem with a previous laptop running Windows 7 and Office 2003 and never managed to find a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back