Weird !!

H3MSY

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
It may be a bug in my copy, but sometimes in excel I reference a cell in the normal way e.g. in cell a1 i type =f11 and the value gives me whatever is in f11. OK correct.
If I then change that to =f12 it just says =f12 in the cell !!! If I change it back to =f11 it now says =f11. No matter what I try it doesn't go back to just showing the value of the referenced cell.

Anybody experienced the same?!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Have you accidentally inserted a ' in the cell before the = sign? This would force the cell to treat your entry as text rather than a function, which is what it seems to be doing.

Upvote 0
No thats what i first thought,
When you F2 it does show a ' but if you delete this it still gives the same result.
On the S/Sheet I'm in at the moment it even does it when you press f4 to put the "$" signs in. e.g =a1 gives a value of 2, press f4 and it shows =$a$1 ???????

Upvote 0
Have you formatted the cell to text? Go into format - cell and change it to "general". You will then have to remove the ' from in front. Hope this is it, or it really is weird!

Upvote 0
Cheers Phil,

Thats sorted it. I'm going to blame it on the person who set the original sheet up. Wasn't me - Honest

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back