problem opening files (simple i think)

sykes

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
Am having problems opening .Xls files.
Each time I try, the cursed maching tries to unsuccessfully open each section of the file path bit by bit until the end where it finally opens the file anyway.
I think I've seen the solution before, but can't remember how to solve it.
I seem to remember it's something to do with having visited explorer, and the file associations section.
Anyone?
Ta, in anticipation.
Sykes

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Sykes,

answer to the board please, not to Gareth's email

this way, we all share the information and Gareth's solution

Upvote 0
sorry about that, as It's the first time I've used the site, I didn't know the protocol! Gareth said e-mail him direct, so I assumed that with him being a "regular" this was normal, and that my problem was too trivial to be considered on the message board.
It's still not solved by the way so if anyone else has any ideas........

Kindest

Sykes

Upvote 0
Hi

NEVER is the question stupid, silly or worthless, NEVER NEVER NEVER if the poster requires help or is not quite sure. thats the hole point.

Siomple to me is rocket sicence to my pal Chris D and what Cris gets up to in some of his post i have no ideas what so ever. I might nbe extreamly very techi.. but ever week we call each other and ask hows this and please help.. and the millions of emails and Pm between us,,, so no i disagree totall and back this with all my 800 posts, if you need to know PLEASE feel free to post and ask for help... please i really mean it...

Also check search.. so many post alwas a libary there to fall back on, worth a look and good fun to, i know i do..

I campaign to get posts and answers on the board as i see if someone help you or indeed me, which guys do then many other guys can learn too.

try this open excel and file open and select excel this will force excel to open the file or at least try to..

do you get error message if so what does it say?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back