Duplicates

zacemmel

I have seen several posts on the forum regarding duplicates. Most peope resort to UDFs and VBA to remove duplicates. That isn't neccesary. You can remove duplicates with the functions that are built-in to Excel.

Check out the formula I created below:

=IF(ROW()=ROW($A$1),$A$1,IF(ISERROR(INDIRECT("a"&MIN(IF(MATCH($A$1:$A$13,$A$1:$A$13,0)>MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$13,0),MATCH($A$1:$A$13,$A$1:$A$13,0),99999)))),"",INDIRECT("a"&MIN(IF(MATCH($A$1:$A$13,$A$1:$A$13,0)>MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$13,0),MATCH($A$1:$A$13,$A$1:$A$13,0),99999)))))
This message was edited by zacemmel on 2002-05-02 11:02

Hi,

Enter the following into cells a1:a5
{1,2,3,1,5}

The formula will not return the 5.

Another way...

Data in column A
Enter the following in B1 and copy down.
=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1,A1,IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)=1,A1,""))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hello zacemmel

very nice formula
Nice Work Man !!

Upvote 0
Jay,

Your method doesn't put the data in adjacent cells. If there are duplicates, it leaves blank cells in their places :/

Upvote 0
=IF(ROW()=ROW($A$1),$A$1,IF(ISERROR(INDIRECT("a"&MIN(IF(MATCH($A$1:$A$50,$A$1:$A$50,0)>MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$50,0),MATCH($A$1:$A$50,$A$1:$A$50,0),99999)))),"",INDIRECT("a"&MIN(IF(MATCH($A$1:$A$50,$A$1:$A$50,0)>MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$50,0),MATCH($A$1:$A$50,$A$1:$A$50,0),99999)))))

in B2 and copied down

:(

are you sure about the "MATCH" using a false arguement ? I'm getting weird result with just text now

Upvote 0
The reason some of us would "resort" to writing our own function is that this formula is a mess and most people on the board can't understand it at all, and these are advanced excellers.

In many cases it is cleaner and easier to write a function or procedure.

Dave

Upvote 0
By the way, the range must be complete, or my formula will not work. All cells in the range A1:A13 must be filled in.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-02 16:14, zacemmel wrote:
Jay,

Your method doesn't put the data in adjacent cells. If there are duplicates, it leaves blank cells in their places :/

Agreed.

Yet, it doesn't have a problem with the dataset I posted. Once a duplicate value is found, any subsequent unique values are not returned with your formula.

How about Advanced Filter? No VBA needed, and though you may get a duplicate "category" header, it works fine.
This message was edited by Jay Petrulis on 2002-05-02 16:23

Upvote 0
Jay,

The advanced filter isn't full-proof. I have seen that POS break lots of times.

Upvote 0
OK I'm lost. I have Jan, Feb... etc in cells A1 thru A13. Which cell(s) should I put this formula to display the unique values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back