IF Stmt

Puntarenas

I need to change the value of a cell if a criteria is met otherwise leave the current value of that cell intact - How do I do that?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
You could try some VB.

If Activecell.value = (your criteria) then
activecell.value = (new value)
else
activecell.offsett(1,0).select 'go to next cell
end if

Upvote 0
you can also use a formula for this.
=if(celllocation=criteria, newvalue,celllocation)
substitute the cell address, criteria and newvalue for the names above.

Upvote 0
Phiore,
When I use your formula I get a 'circular reference' error. This is due to trying to leave the value of the
'test' cell when the 'criteria' is not met. Any other ideas
PS. I am not a VB programer
This message was edited by Puntarenas on 2002-05-02 16:19

Upvote 0
...I get a 'circular reference' error.

could you provide some more information including cell refs and exactly what you want to have the formula return?

Upvote 0
Anno,
Sorry taken so long to reply (traveling).
Basically, what I am trying to do is to leave the value of the cell being tested intact unless the value of another cell matches a criteria
Ex.
A2= 8
A5= Y
I want to test cell A2 so that if A5 = Y change the value to 10 else leave 8.
Does this help?
JAC

Upvote 0
Hello Jac

take a look, is this what you mean or am i missing something?

<CENTER><TABLE ALIGN=CENTER BORDER=1><TR><TD BGCOLOR=#0C266B COLSPAN=6><FONT COLOR=WHITE>Microsoft Excel - HtmlMaker.xls</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 COLSPAN=6>File(<U>F</U>) Edit(<U>E</U>) View(<U>V</U>) Insert(<U>I</U>) Tool(<U>T</U>) Data(<U>D</U>) Window(<U>W</U>) Help(<U>H</U>)</TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN=CENTER COLSPAN=2 BGCOLOR=White>A1</TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 >=</TD><TD COLSPAN=3 BGCOLOR=White></TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>A</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>B</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>C</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>D</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>E</TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>1</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>2</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN=Center VALIGN=BOTTOM ><A HREF=javascript:alert('10')><FONT FACE=Fixedsys COLOR=#000000>=IF(A5="Y",10,8)</FONT></A></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>3</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>4</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>5</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF ALIGN=Center VALIGN=BOTTOM ><FONT FACE=Fixedsys COLOR=#000000>Y</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>6</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>7</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>8</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD WIDTH=5 BGCOLOR=#D4D0C8 ALIGN=CENTER>9</TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF> </TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=6><U>Sheet1</U></TD></TR></TABLE>
<FONT COLOR=#339966>You can see the value of cells only click each above hyperlinks</FONT></CENTER>

Upvote 0
Adrian,
Thank you for your response. You almost had it right. Using your example:
For the value of A2:
If A5 = 'Y' then place the value of '10' in A2 else place whatever the current value of A5 in A2.
JAC
This message was edited by Puntarenas on 2002-06-10 12:58
This message was edited by Puntarenas on 2002-06-10 12:59
This message was edited by puntarenas on 2002-07-11 17:01

Upvote 0
If true, do something, do nothing (NOT "" )

This is my question also. I want to test the value of a cell. If it is void, empty, my If statement will be true and text will be entered. If it is false, ie there is text or numbers in the cell, (and there ussally will be), I want it left alone. Something like
a b c
2 45 $1 1
3 46 $2 2
IF(A1="","Page " &C2". do nothing

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arndtea

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back