Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Outlook Email to Excel...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello All,

I have an email box full of survey results from a HTML form. My problem is taking those individual emails and creating an Excel spreadsheet, as to make the data manageable.

The data is seperated in to the following format:

fname: joe
    lname: schmoe

After many frustrating hours, I have yet to figure a way to get the data into a columnar format, much less deal with 150 individual email responses to a 40 question survey. I have tried manipulating the data through various exporting scenarios, and tried my best to understand how a pivot table might bail me out.

I would appreciate ANY insight in dealing with this mess!

Thank you!!!
    David

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David,

You can open an HTML file in Excel, as I have just tried this out. This will then able you to format the data how you like.

I am a bit unsure how the data appears on the HTML file, but if you wanted to get the data into columns if it's in a long row etc then you could use Data/Text to columns to helo you.

It's very difficult to help you when I don't have a sample of the data to look at and fully understand what it is you require.

Helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response Helen-- The data I have is not in HTML format, but actually individual emails in Outlook. The farthest I am able to get them in some ledgible format, is by exporting the entire Outlook folder into a text file. From there, I am able to import it into Excel using some delimiters to seperate the information into columns. Below is an example of how the text might appear in Excel.

A B
    fname: Joan
    lname: Doe
    company: Some Electronics
    position: CFO
    address1: 10901 Someplace
    address2:
    city: Tampa
    State: Fl
    textfield: 33624
    phone: (813)xxx-xxxx
    email: Joan.Doe@mystie.com
    www:
    select_version: IVb

The problem is that the fields of the survey are in one column, when I want them in seperate columns. I guess the simplistic way of looking at this, is that I want to 'turn' the spreadsheet.

The complicating factor, is that there are 150 of these entries in one Excel Sheet, formatted into 2 columns. Is there a way for me to grab a certain range of cells, based on the content of the first column-- and 'turn' all of them, including the B column? Or maybe simply define the range, tell Excel to look in the B column, and populate a new sheet? I am so lost...

Again, thank you for your time and patience!
    -David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helen,

Unfortunately, the BBS removed the spaces in my data example. The Field name is in the A column, while the corresponding information is in the B column.

Thanks again!
    -David

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others