Outlook Email to Excel...

dwuensch

Hello All,

I have an email box full of survey results from a HTML form. My problem is taking those individual emails and creating an Excel spreadsheet, as to make the data manageable.

The data is seperated in to the following format:

fname: joe
lname: schmoe

After many frustrating hours, I have yet to figure a way to get the data into a columnar format, much less deal with 150 individual email responses to a 40 question survey. I have tried manipulating the data through various exporting scenarios, and tried my best to understand how a pivot table might bail me out.

I would appreciate ANY insight in dealing with this mess!

Thank you!!!
David

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
David,

You can open an HTML file in Excel, as I have just tried this out. This will then able you to format the data how you like.

I am a bit unsure how the data appears on the HTML file, but if you wanted to get the data into columns if it's in a long row etc then you could use Data/Text to columns to helo you.

It's very difficult to help you when I don't have a sample of the data to look at and fully understand what it is you require.

Helen

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response Helen-- The data I have is not in HTML format, but actually individual emails in Outlook. The farthest I am able to get them in some ledgible format, is by exporting the entire Outlook folder into a text file. From there, I am able to import it into Excel using some delimiters to seperate the information into columns. Below is an example of how the text might appear in Excel.

A B
fname: Joan
lname: Doe
company: Some Electronics
position: CFO
address1: 10901 Someplace
address2:
city: Tampa
State: Fl
textfield: 33624
phone: (813)xxx-xxxx
email: Joan.Doe@mystie.com
www:
select_version: IVb

The problem is that the fields of the survey are in one column, when I want them in seperate columns. I guess the simplistic way of looking at this, is that I want to 'turn' the spreadsheet.

The complicating factor, is that there are 150 of these entries in one Excel Sheet, formatted into 2 columns. Is there a way for me to grab a certain range of cells, based on the content of the first column-- and 'turn' all of them, including the B column? Or maybe simply define the range, tell Excel to look in the B column, and populate a new sheet? I am so lost...

Again, thank you for your time and patience!
-David

Upvote 0
Helen,

Unfortunately, the BBS removed the spaces in my data example. The Field name is in the A column, while the corresponding information is in the B column.

Thanks again!
-David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slaytonpa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back