Bar graph showing cost components from EBITDA -> Net Income

ssiao

Hello!

I am new to this board.
Today I was asked to prepare a bar graph from 2005 to 2012 showing the EBITDA and the other cost components below EBITDA to reach final Net Income. At first I thought it would be easy to prepare, but I now realize that to reach the Net Income, the other cost components must be taken out of EBITDA. So how can I make a bar graph that goes from EBITDA + Other Cost to Net Income?

I have been thinking about this graph most of the day today but could not come up with good solution.
If anyone can help, I would really apprecaite it.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Welcome to the board.

I think if I were to show the key components between EBITDA and Net Profit I would probably go for a waterfall chart. Are you just looking at a single period (month/qtr/year)?

See waterfall chart tutorial here.

The "initial" would be EBITDA and the "final" net profit. Not knowing your P&L I would only be able to speculate what items fall below the line, but I presume you have a bunch of GL account codes that apply; and perhaps that you can further categorise.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick response! I thought about waterfall graph also, but the request was bar graph to show trend across the years (from 2005 to 2012). I am a bit stumped on this request.

Upvote 0
Is your net profit always positive, or do you have some losses an one or more periods?

Upvote 0
Typically your EBITDA will always be greater than your Net Profit, unless you've got some strange happenings on the "below-the-line" GL's. So I would use a stacked bar chart where the 1st stack of a bar shows Net Profit. Then each stack on top of that will show the individual "below-the-line" items, finally ending at your EBITDA position. Each bar would represent a different period.

Upvote 0
The net profit is always positive; however, some cost components below EBITDA can be positive or negative depending on the year.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestions. Just now I tried the stack bar graph; however, it is adding up the EBITDA and "below-the-line" items. The final net income position on the graph is the total of EBITDA + below the line. This graph request may not be possible, so I will see what alternative graphs I can prepare instead. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot! I think I finally got it! I was including the EBITDA in the bar graph itself.
When I remove the EBITDA amount, the amounts of Net Profit + Below the Line items = EBITDA.

This will work! Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot! I think I finally got it! I was including the EBITDA in the bar graph itself.
When I remove the EBITDA amount, the amounts of Net Profit + Below the Line items = EBITDA.

This will work! Thank you so much!
Bingo ;) Good luck. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back