Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cannot copy and paste between workbooks in same instance of Excel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cannot copy and paste between workbooks in same instance of Excel

I am using Excel 2010. When I select and copy a single cell (or a group of cells) in one workbook and try to paste into another Workbook loaded in the same instance of Excel I get an Error 'That command cannot be used on multiple selections' - I cannot even paste into a bran new opened workbook.

However if I open another instance of Excel then the data pastes quite happily. Any ideas as to why this behaviour is happening?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cannot copy and paste between workbooks in same instance of Excel

This message appears when you copy multiple cells not next to each other (Many ranges)....
    - -={Laziness is the mother of invention!}=- -
    For some fun, read the jokes in the following thread: "Funny jokes folks"
    Or you can check my "Shapes and faces" thread.
    My Email is "Toughkid999@hotmail.com"

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slipperx View Post
    I am using Excel 2010. When I select and copy a single cell (or a group of cells) in one workbook and try to paste into another Workbook loaded in the same instance of Excel I get an Error 'That command cannot be used on multiple selections' - I cannot even paste into a bran new opened workbook.

However if I open another instance of Excel then the data pastes quite happily. Any ideas as to why this behaviour is happening?
    See if the link below helps.

Excel Copy and Paste Tips and Trouble | Contextures Blog
    Using Windows 10, Excel 2013.
    Any code provided by me should be tested on a copy or a mock-up of your file before applying it to your original file. Some actions generated by VBA code cannot be reversed with the undo facility in Excel. To open the VB editor, press Alt + F11. To run code from the Excel window, press Alt + F8. Please do not attempt to learn everything about VBA in one thread, especially from me. See this link for attaching images: Attachments

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is another link that gives more info.

Error Message "That Command Cannot Be Used on Multiple Selections"
    Using Windows 10, Excel 2013.
    Any code provided by me should be tested on a copy or a mock-up of your file before applying it to your original file. Some actions generated by VBA code cannot be reversed with the undo facility in Excel. To open the VB editor, press Alt + F11. To run code from the Excel window, press Alt + F8. Please do not attempt to learn everything about VBA in one thread, especially from me. See this link for attaching images: Attachments

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    Thanks for the links - had already checked those out but they are dealing with non-contiguous copies which I am not trying to do. In my case let's just concentrate on the fact that the error is appearing even when just a single cell is copied - but only between workbooks in a single Excel instance - eg. open one file then another using File Open. If the computer has just been restarted the problem does not occur. If the problem is occurring already and you close and reopen the workbooks then the problem remains. However if you open a whole new Excel instance so you have two running and open the same workbooks with one in each instance of Excel then you can copy with no issue.

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others