Cannot copy and paste between workbooks in same instance of Excel

slipperx

I am using Excel 2010. When I select and copy a single cell (or a group of cells) in one workbook and try to paste into another Workbook loaded in the same instance of Excel I get an Error 'That command cannot be used on multiple selections' - I cannot even paste into a bran new opened workbook.

However if I open another instance of Excel then the data pastes quite happily. Any ideas as to why this behaviour is happening?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
This message appears when you copy multiple cells not next to each other (Many ranges)....

Upvote 0
I am using Excel 2010. When I select and copy a single cell (or a group of cells) in one workbook and try to paste into another Workbook loaded in the same instance of Excel I get an Error 'That command cannot be used on multiple selections' - I cannot even paste into a bran new opened workbook.

However if I open another instance of Excel then the data pastes quite happily. Any ideas as to why this behaviour is happening?

See if the link below helps.

Excel Copy and Paste Tips and Trouble | Contextures Blog

Upvote 0
Hi
Thanks for the links - had already checked those out but they are dealing with non-contiguous copies which I am not trying to do. In my case let's just concentrate on the fact that the error is appearing even when just a single cell is copied - but only between workbooks in a single Excel instance - eg. open one file then another using File Open. If the computer has just been restarted the problem does not occur. If the problem is occurring already and you close and reopen the workbooks then the problem remains. However if you open a whole new Excel instance so you have two running and open the same workbooks with one in each instance of Excel then you can copy with no issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back