Urgently Need Help BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!

buntykins

Board Regular
It's a simple query, but I really need it answered as I'm about to lose a LOAD of data!! Please help!!

I have a worksheet that has a date column in it along with entries for that day. The thing is it won't sort correctly and I dont know how to fix it. When I sort the date column it does this:

30/4/02
30/4/02
29/4/02
29/4/02
28/4/02
3/5/02
3/5/02
2/5/02
2/5/02
1/5/02

This is wrong. What I need it to do is sort so that the most recent date is near the top, like this:

3/5/02
3/5/02
2/5/02
1/5/02
30/4/02
29/4/02
29/4/02

and so on...

it seems to be sorting it by the day number and not by the whole date and I dont know how to stop it! Can anyone help me, I am really in trouble here!!

Janie

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Buntykins,

Hi, I just tried to recreate your problem but couldn't! I took the data from your post and entered it into a column. I then formatted the cells as a date and hit sort - descending. Worked fine. The only thing I can say is check you have the cells formatted as a date so that the sort recognises it as such.

Nibbs

Upvote 0
Make sure that the data you are sorting in in date format, then when sorting use the decending / ascending as required

Upvote 0
Hi Bunty,

If you're still having problems, then you may want to try the following:

Type the number 0 in a cell somewhere, copy it, and then paste special/add it over your date range. You should be able to format the cell as a date and the column should then sort correctly.

Hope that helps,
Adam

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back