Am I dreaming if I want to automate scoring in my World Cup Comp S/sheet

cRx45

Hi all. This is my first post here. I was referred here by Mike at ExcelisFun on youtube. He suggested I ask you fine people to see if anyone can help me with my <strikethrough><del>quandary</del></strikethrough> labour of love .

Every 4 years when the World Cup is on my friends and I run a small world cup predictions competition between ourselves. We all put in $50 each and the top 3 win some ca$h.

It started back in the 2002 world cup, being the 'computer guy' in the group and at the time knowing a little bit about Excel, I decided to create a 'small' spreadsheet to keep track of everyone's progress during the event. As I also knew a bit of html I worked out how to save the excel file as html and uploaded it to my server for all to see their progress via the web. What started as a 5-6 person small comp back in 2002 (which we started 1 week into the event) has now turned into an elaborate spreadsheet which I've managed to automate the line up and scoreboard using Vlookups, Ranking and some conditional formatting.

By the next world cup next year, I'd like to finally automate the scoring process, so that when I enter the official score after each game, I'd like excel to automatically work out each persons score (I wish!). BUT... we have so many ways of scoring that I have no idea where to start this process and what formula or combination of formulae to use. I was thinking maybe nested ifs but I think it's going to be really complicated. There's a need for conditional formatting too as the scoring is also colour coded.

I was hoping someone could guide me on what the best way to tackle this would be. I'm not looking for someone to 'do it', just to look at it and suggest ways to go about it and what formulae you would use etc.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in looking at it, I've posted the html of the last comp we did back in 2010. It's just the html file. You can't see the excel formulae, but you can see all the different ways of scoring (the scoring is described in detail and found in the tab at the bottom named scoring description).

Seth Efrica 2010 World Cup Comp v3.0 - Results Page

If you want me to post the actual excel file (if I can here), so you can see further, let me know.

Also, if you like it and you're into the world cup, feel free to use it for your own comp next year. It's been a labour of love of mine for the past 10 years that I'm happy to pass on.

Anyway thanks for reading and if you can, let me know what you think, even if it's to say "no way, you're dreaming!".

Cheers
cRx45

Here's a experimental layout

As we say in Australia: "Bluddy Hell". I can't believe the effort you made to create that. There are a few complex formulas in there (for me), but I'm sure going to have a hard look at it. Thank you very much!! It's much appreciated.

There are also a large number of other changes you may want to make in terms of further normalizing the tables, error checking, highlighting the input/calculation/output sections, perhaps organising the calculations in a different way, order etc. Maybe explore using Data Tables (Calculate multiple results by using a data table - Excel - Office.com) as well.

Thanks. I'll also look into this.

Since you are on Excel 2010 though, if you have time you might want to explore PowerPivot (PowerPivot | Microsoft BI)

This may be if bit hard for me, but if I get the time I'll look into it.

Also, on a slightly controversial note

Yes there were a few raised eyebrows but as Sylv is my younger bro, I made the decision to let it go orelse it would have looked like I was playing favourites.

Again, thanks for the effort you went to.

Cheers
cRx45

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back