Personal.xls in networksituation

Rudi

hi,

i have the following (network) situation;

3 computers with Excel on their own harddisc - each user is saving files to the network drive so all users can
commonly use these files.

I have some macro's in 'personal.xls' which need to be available on each of the 3 machines

My idea is that the 'personal.xls' needs to be installed on each machine .

My question is; is it possible to make 'personal.xls' available from the networkdrive ? (which would have numerous advantages like for updates on 'personal.xls')

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated

Rudi

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
On 2002-05-03 04:31, Mr Nick wrote:
Save it as a template file.

Yes that will copy the macro's in the workbook to a template on the networkdrive

But how can I direct those macro's in 'persnlk.xls' (usually found in C:windowsapplicationdataexcelxlstart)to the networkdrive.

Upvote 0
A bit of a stab in the dark, but have you tried creating a shortcut in XLstart that will open the network persoanl.xls ?

Upvote 0
Specify the network location as an alternate startup location. You can do this via Tools|Options and select the General tab.

Hope this helps you out :)

Regards,

Upvote 0
If you want these personal macros to be available in this network sheet, why not just copy them to the actual sheet?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-03 05:56, Mr Nick wrote:
If you want these personal macros to be available in this network sheet, why not just copy them to the actual sheet?

The reason to use 'persnlks.xls' is that all workbooks you generate through a template will be able to use those original macro's.

If all your macro's are in your template Excel will create copies of those macro's with every new workbook your template generates.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-03 05:49, Iain Lewis wrote:
A bit of a stab in the dark, but have you tried creating a shortcut in XLstart that will open the network persoanl.xls ?

I was thinking of something like this or finding a way to direct excel to that 'persnlk.xls' file - should try this one!

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-03 05:50, Barrie Davidson wrote:
Specify the network location as an alternate startup location. You can do this via Tools|Options and select the General tab.

Regards,

Will this also direct Excel to this alternate startup location for the Xlstartfile (which usually features persnlk.xls) ?

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-03 06:27, Rudi wrote:
On 2002-05-03 05:50, Barrie Davidson wrote:

Regards,

Will this also direct Excel to this alternate startup location for the Xlstartfile (which usually features persnlk.xls) ?

Rudi, not sure what you mean. The alternate startup location is used in addition to Excel's startup folder (XLSTART). So Excel will still open the files in that folder.

You should note that Excel will try to open every file in the alternate startup folder. You should ensure you specify a folder that contains only files that Microsoft Excel can open.

Does this help you out?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back