Resetting the standard template.

Mr Nick

Board Regular
I've been messing about with menu customisation and have now found that the standard blank sheet that opens with excel has a modified file menu. I can reset the menus with a reset util I have, but can I reset the standard blank template to inlcude a full menu set so I don't have to keep resetting manually?

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Do you have any files in your XLSTART folder? Files in there can affect the way Excel's defaults.

Have you tried doing a RESET on all your menus/toolbars?

Right-click one of them. Hit Customize. Select each one that is checked (without unchecking it!) and hit the Reset button.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Do you have any files in your XLSTART folder? Files in there can affect the way Excel's defaults.

Have you tried doing a RESET on all your menus/toolbars?

quote]

I have no startup templates in my office folders and I have reset all toolbars at least 20 times in the past 2 days.

I have just done it again trying your method and the reset still lasts only as long as Excel is open. When I close and restart, my File menu is missing all print options.

Upvote 0
Home or network?
The only folder I'm concerned about is XLSTART or if you have named an alternate startup for Excel under Tools-Options, General tab. If either of these folders have anything in them, temporarily (at least) remove them (while Excel is closed), and launch Excel again.

Upvote 0
The only file in there is mscreate, which I have removed with no change to my startup template.

I'm using Excel 97 on a network but all application files are held on my hard disc.

Upvote 0
mrnick
if no luck with anything else i'd go looking for 'filename.xlt' files.

Upvote 0
There are only 3 template files on my system - all of which I have created. None of these templates have revised menus so these are not the root cause. I'm at a loss as to where these changes are coming from!!

Upvote 0
I'd check files on your network - my Word template and i think the Excel one is on a 'personal' network drive so they can be changed remotely.
This message was edited by Schrödinger’s cat on 2002-05-07 01:23

Upvote 0
I'm on a corporate network spanning over 30 branches and in excess of 1500 workstations. If it was a network template, surely this problem would manifest itself on machines other than my own. If I disconnect from the network, the template is still the same.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeerMan23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back