Search for multiple text strings simultaneously in a single cell

geekylawyer

I have a spreadsheet that has relatively clean data, but at the end of every row is a long notes fields (often filled with several paragraphs of text). I'm trying to search inside each one of those notes to see if it contains certain boilerplate language / legalese / key words.

If I was just looking for one word, it would be easy -- I would write =IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("keyword",E2)>0,"Yes",""),""). That way, if the keyword is present, it returns "Yes", and if it's not present, it returns a blank.

What I want to do, though, if look for a long list of keywords simultaneously, and if ANY of those keywords are present, have it return a "Yes".

So I could do something like =IFERROR(IF(or(SEARCH("keyword1",E2)>0,SEARCH("keyword2",E2)>0,SEARCH("keyword3",E2)>0,SEARCH("keyword4",E2)>0)),"Yes",""),""), but that seems horribly inefficient. Especially since my list of keywords is likely to change over time.

So what I want it to do is search each cell by simultaneous reference to an ever-changing table of keywords (call it [KeywordTable]). And I can't figure out how to do that. The search function is resisting all of my efforts to put multiple search values / a range of words inside of it.

To reiterate: the goal is to look at one cell filled with text, ask "does the text in that cell contain any of the keywords contained in [KeywordTable]", and if the answer is "Yes" return yes, and if the answer is no return no (or blanks). That's all.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi,

Is there a way for the formula to return all the keywords found in a string? Even if the string contains more than one keyword?

Thanks,
Neha

Upvote 0
Hi,

Is there a way for the formula to return all the keywords found in a string? Even if the string contains more than one keyword?

Thanks,
Neha

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
1​
jad
2​
kad
3​
vad
4​
5​
6​
jad in kad won a vadjadkadvad
7​

A2:A3 is named Keywords.

In B6 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy across:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(
    INDEX(Keywords,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&Keywords&" "," "&$A6&" ")),
    ROW(Keywords)-ROW(INDEX(Keywords,1,1))+1),COLUMNS($B6:B6))),"")

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Aladin, can you modify formula to show the answer in one cell (jad, kad, vad) separated by comma.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Aladin, can you modify formula to show the answer in one cell (jad, kad, vad) separated by comma.
Thank you.

You'll need native TEXTJOIN of the 2016 systems or add the following <acronym title="visual basic for applications">VBA</acronym> code to your workbook as a module, using Alt+F11...

Function aconcat(a As Variant, Optional sep As String = "") As String
' Harlan Grove, Mar 2002
Dim y As Variant
If TypeOf a Is Range Then
For Each y In a.Cells
aconcat = aconcat & y.Value & sep
Next y
ElseIf IsArray(a) Then
For Each y In a
aconcat = aconcat & y & sep
Next y
Else
aconcat = aconcat & a & sep
End If
aconcat = Left(aconcat, Len(aconcat) - Len(sep))
End Function

Then invoke...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=REPLACE(aconcat(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&Keywords&" "," "&$A6&" ")),", "&Keywords,"")),1,2,"")

Upvote 0
Aladin thanks to replay. I'm interesting only with formula. I use TEXTJOIN and is OK.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have list of text which needs to be searched in the column which contains "Email subject" .

For ex: i want to search a word "STUK","STUS", etc..if this words exist in the subject column, i want to return the same text in the next column.
If STUK is available i want the STUK in the next column.

Please help me with the formula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back