IOMEGA ZIP250 and Floppy Drives

cdata

I need some confirmation on this one...

I have an end-client who has been using their IOMEGA ZIP100 and ZIP250 drive, as their primary hard drive. They save their work directly to the ZIP floppies, and have been doing so for quite some time. Recently the client was unable to copy or save to an excel file located on several different floppies.

The floppy contains word documents and other files, which the client can open, save, copy or delete with no issues.

When the client tries to save, copy, or move an excel file from the drive, the system becomes unstable and a total freeze occurs.

Iomega claims that do to the way Excel saves files, they have seen this problem before, but that it is not common. They are saying that you cannot save an Excel file directly to a zip drive, without taking a chance of a rare problem occuring. Once this problem occurs the user cannot copy and paste the file from the floppy, they cannot save any changes, they can only open the file.

I have tried copying the workbook, but this results in a complete freeze also. The only way to salvage the data so far, is to load the file, highlight only the portion of the workbook which contains data, copy and paste this info into a new workbook. This only works half of the time. The rest of the time the system freezes.

Can anyone shed some light on this...

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi Mike

I would love to point to windos this i cant this time the issue is the zip drive and the way they store data nd in this case save files,

I hoped i would never post such infomation but close before. WORD has a wonderful save method thats fast and stable, Excel suffers from technology from before the romans invented the abacas, OK hisoroily bad poor example as totaly wrong before im corrected but gets the point over.

Excel save in very simple way thats very poor, so the zip wont like this, also the read write rates are low so this ant gonna help..

FIX..... is there one....

save to basic media ie HDD or flop and then transfer, ive had prob like this is J drives and so on, dont recomend it much...

C:| should be HDD and deliver file to that or default if on LAN then play is the best most stable advice i can honestly give...

Not the answer your requested, but honest it it.

A little upgrade is needed - politly suggest one.

Upvote 0
Jack,

THANK YOU..! Your message actually gave me more than I could have hoped for. I know it was not what I was asking for, but it helps to know...!!

THANKS AGAIN..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aveternik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back