Got a doubt:
Excel spreadsheet, the rows are:

1-62
1-63
Blank cell
1-75
1-76
Blank cell

My requirement is: wherever there is a Blank cell, it should be populated with the previous cell number +1
and placed within brackets.

For example the first Blank cell should become (1-64)
The next Blank cell should become (1-77)

Like this, there are hundreds of rows.
This should happen automatically through a script/formula/macro.

Need urgent help.

Re: raghu

Excel 2010
AB
11-621-62
21-631-63
3Blank cell1-64
41-751-75
51-761-76
6Blank cell1-77

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet3

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B3=LEFT(B2,FIND("-",B2))&RIGHT(B2,LEN(B2)-FIND("-",B2))+1
B6=LEFT(B5,FIND("-",B5))&RIGHT(B5,LEN(B5)-FIND("-",B5))+1

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

then you can filter that column for blanks and copy the formula to those cells

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
the formula worked when i converted the text to number format. but, actually, i wanted something more. this only served the purpose partially.
1) The newly copied entry should be within parenthesis, i.e., it should read (1-30.2)
2) The subsequent numbering works fine when the previous number is 1-29: the new number becomes 1-30.
But, when the previous number is 1-30.1, then i want the new number to be 1-30.2 and not 1-31.1. Could you check on this please?
3) Lastly, the formula has to work in one shot on all the blank cells: any workaround on this please?

thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.

Hi And Welcome to The Board
Try Below VB Code The Below Code will cover Range A1 To A15 if you want to change the range for e.g if you want to change it to A1 To A500 then just change the highlighted row no 500
Rich (BB code):
Sub Fill_Subsequent()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Range("A1").Select
Do Until ActiveCell.Row = 15
    If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then
    ActiveCell.NumberFormat = "General"
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(""."",R[-1]C)),LEFT(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""-"",R[-1]C))& MID(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""-"",R[-1]C)+1,99)*1+1,LEFT(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""."",R[-1]C))&MID(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""."",R[-1]C)+1,99)*1+1)"
    ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Value
    End If
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

hi i have read you need filled no. like this ( 1-30 ) so try below one but note that
if continues Blank cell will found more then one blank cell then it will fill no only one blank cell next blank cell will give error and above one will work any blank cell found that will not give any error but will not put any ()
Rich (BB code):
Sub Fill_Subsequent()
Range("A1").Select
On Error Resume Next
Do Until ActiveCell.Row = 25
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(""."",R[-1]C)),LEFT(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""-"",R[-1]C))& MID(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""-"",R[-1]C)+1,99)*1+1,LEFT(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""."",R[-1]C))&MID(R[-1]C,SEARCH(""."",R[-1]C)+1,99)*1+1)"
    ActiveCell.Value = "(" & ActiveCell.Value & ")"
    End If
Loop
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I am aware of the concept you described. The reason I asked about the parentheses was to establish if they were an important requirement... a macro can be written to use autofill to give you what you need but the parentheses (as kevatarvind has pointed out) make it more of a challenge.

With that in mind, would the following be of use?

Excel Workbook
A
11-73
21-74
3*1-75
41-76
51-77
61-78
7*1-79
81-80
91-81
101-82
11*1-83
12*1-84
131-85
141-86
151-87.21
16*1-87.22
171-89
181-90
19*1-91
201-92
211-93
Sheet1

AP

Upvote 0
Yes, I am aware of the concept you described. The reason I asked about the parentheses was to establish if they were an important requirement... a macro can be written to use autofill to give you what you need but the parentheses (as kevatarvind has pointed out) make it more of a challenge.
AP

you are absolutely right or another way if they parentheses just to know that those cell were blank then we can highlight those cell with different color ?

Upvote 0

No, this does not work. firstly, why did you add another column B? this is not what i asked for.
very simple. there is only one column A. if i copy the above formula, with suitable modifications, the formula
just gets copied to the cell. no sorry, this did not work.

Only used a second column to show the results, wasn't intended to be your final results. I'm going to bow out

Upvote 0

Only used a second column to show the results, wasn't intended to be your final results. I'm going to bow out

I thought from the original post that this was an urgent request from the OP? Clearly not as he hasn't responded to any of the 3 of us. I'm going to follow you and bow out too.

AP

Upvote 0

With that in mind, would the following be of use?

Sheet1

*A
11-73
21-74
3*1-75
41-76
51-77
61-78
7*1-79
81-80
91-81
101-82
11*1-83
12*1-84
131-85
141-86
151-87.21
16*1-87.22
171-89
181-90
19*1-91
201-92
211-93

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

AP
Thanks for the reply. The reason for being unable to reply was that this is my first time, and i did not notice page 2 of the post and thought that no one had replied to me. my apologies.. my heartfelt thanks for your help. for first timers to forums like this, it is somewhat of a maze and unfamiliar. all this while, i was thinking that i am still awaiting a reply. thans a million for your help. that really helped. the formula that was given.

Upvote 0

Try Below VB Code The Below Code will cover Range A1 To A15 if you want to change the range for e.g if you want to change it to A1 To A500 then just change the highlighted row no 500
Rich (BB code):
Sub Fill_Subsequent()
Range("A1").Select
    End If
Loop
End Sub

Thanks for your reply. i shall try out the quote applicable for more than one cell. i have many blank cells in my requirement. shall try it out pronto. thanks a lot for your reply. if there is any delay in my reply, it is because of the fact that i am new to forums like these and i did not realise that there is page 2 also for the messages. thanks again.

Upvote 0

Rich (BB code):
Sub Fill_Subsequent()
Range("A1").Select
    End If
Loop
End Sub

Hi,
thanks that worked. actually, the user wants the opening and closing parenthesis: as he wnts to distinguish the previously blank pages, with parenthesis. also , there was an unexpected result: the next number to 1-69 should become 1-70: but the cell got filled in with Jan-70: this is definitely an error: and i do not how this error has come. any workarounds please?

Thanks.
raghu

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back