helllllp please

mrxwantobe

Board Regular
I have a fixed width file I am importing into Excel. It has 3 columns. "A" is a customer number ie 1004. "B" is customer name ie Tom's Auto and "C" is how much he bought from me this month. I would like to see his next month sales in "D". If I import the same report next month I will have duplicate cust numbers in "A" and "B" with next monts sales in "C". Is there any possible way to get those new numbers in "D" with the right customer and then delete the duplicat record?

Plese help if you can

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
On 2002-05-03 21:12, mrxwantobe wrote:
I have a fixed width file I am importing into Excel. It has 3 columns. "A" is a customer number ie 1004. "B" is customer name ie Tom's Auto and "C" is how much he bought from me this month. I would like to see his next month sales in "D". If I import the same report next month I will have duplicate cust numbers in "A" and "B" with next monts sales in "C". Is there any possible way to get those new numbers in "D" with the right customer and then delete the duplicat record?

Plese help if you can

If you will have matching rows for customers you can import only the purchase figures and put them in column D next to the customer's purchase figures for previous month;
If you import the entire file, and the customer record rows match, you can use the INDEX function to retrieve any customer's purchase figures;
If you import the file, and customer rows don't match, then you can use the VLOOKUP function to get the customer's purchase figures.
I am sorry about the long answer, but in reality, it should be a pretty straight forward process.

Regards!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back