Shortcut keystroke for locked cell in a formula?

G

Do you guys know if there's a keystroke I can use when I want to lock onto a single cell in a formula, instead of having to type those dollar signs every time?

i.e. If I want the cells to be divided by the total in L32, could I push something and then click on L32 directly instead of having to type in $L$32 instead?

Thanks!
Ro

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
On 2002-02-26 14:39, Anonymous wrote:
Do you guys know if there's a keystroke I can use when I want to lock onto a single cell in a formula, instead of having to type those dollar signs every time?

i.e. If I want the cells to be divided by the total in L32, could I push something and then click on L32 directly instead of having to type in $L$32 instead?

Thanks!
Ro
Try typing in
=2+l32 and then hit f4 before enter.

This acts a little finicky sometimes. If you highlight your whole formula in the formula bar and cycle through f4 you will run through the various absoluting options.

good luck

Upvote 0
Perfect, thanks!!!!

Couple related questions:

1) If I'm editing a formula that's already on a worksheet, and it refers to four different cells, and I want to go in and change a reference to a single cell to get that locked, is there a way to do so without going in and retyping it with dollar signs?

2) Is there a way to reference a cell and instead of locking on the individual cell, lock on only the column or only the row?

Thanks again,
Rohan

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-26 15:08, Anonymous wrote:
Perfect, thanks!!!!

1) If I'm editing a formula that's already on a worksheet, and it refers to four different cells, and I want to go in and change a reference to a single cell to get that locked, is there a way to do so without going in and retyping it with dollar signs?

Hit F2 to edit the formula. Highlight the cell of interest and hit f4.

2) Is there a way to reference a cell and instead of locking on the individual cell, lock on only the column or only the row?
A1 is relative
$a$1 is absolute
a$1 is relative column/absolute row
$a1 is abosolute column/relative row.

Hitting f4 several time will run through these options.

The help file is a great resource for this. See About cell and range references, and click on the note about relative and absolute references.

Thanks again,
Rohan

Upvote 0
On 2002-02-26 15:08, Anonymous wrote:
Perfect, thanks!!!!

Thanks again,
Rohan

F4 toggles thru all of the combinations of absolute, mixed and relative references. While editing a formula before pressing F4 highlight the references that you want to change.

Sorry :(, IML didn't see your response.
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-02-26 15:42

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back